a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacing bow pulpit, etc. because of new jib

Started by LTBSLR, June 12, 2021, 01:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTBSLR

I have an original CP19 (HULL 163); the prior owner added a fine DYI bowsprit, but kept the original bow pulpit and went with a wire luff extension with original equipment jib to clear the pulpit.  I just bought a new jib (designed for the standard 19II bowsprit).  With the extender (necessary to clear the original pulpit) the luff is just a bit too long for the forestay to fully raise the sail and the width of the sail (moved up and aft a bit on the forestay by the extender) causes the leech to curl on the spreaders when close hauled (sheets between the shrouds).  I fear just eliminating or shortening the extender enough to get the leech off the spreaders will reduce pointing ability dramatically as the pulpit will interfere (that?s a guess after the first two sails of the season-maybe I?m overreacting.) SO, I?m now considering either having the sail recut to original CP 19size  or replace the pulpit with the ?new? model to move everything inside it.  Has anyone done the replacement?  Will it require new placements, reinforcement work for the pulpit stanchions?   Any other considerations?

ANY thoughts or suggestions (including don?t worry about pointing any higher and enjoy life) are very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Tom George

wes

A little rubbing on the pulpit isn't a problem. The jib on my 19 rubs, and it's not a problem. I'd guess there's about 8" of sail below the upper rail of the pulpit.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Cpy23ecl

I've had 150 genoas on every sailboat I've owned and the tack for every one of them was just inches above the deck and none of them cleared the pulpit.  In 35 years of sailing I've never encountered any issue because the jib did not clear the pulpit.

Fred

LTBSLR

Fred-
Were your tacks inside or outside the pulpit? In my case it is outside, so on a close haul, the lower portion of the sail would wrap around the pulpit.

Thanks.

Tom

Cpy23ecl

I understand now, in my case all of the tacks were inside the pulpit.

Fred

brackish

I'm having a problem picturing this.  Are you saying that the tack is in front of the pulpit, i.e., the luff runs to the masthead in front of the pulpit rather than behind it?  If so I kind of like don't worry about pointing higher and enjoy life.  However, these stubby keel boats don't point very high to start with so that may introduce frustration if you are trying to get to a destination up wind.

My Marina has a tubing bender that is used primarily to repair slight bends in pulpits and stanchion tubing.  Without a picture I'm guessing in order to reuse the current pulpit and move it forward you would have to tighten the forward radius in order to bring in the stanchion base pads to the more narrow footprint you would have.  Maybe that is an option.  You probably would need to reinforce, I think Compacs are all done on the underside rather than a bump up top of the deck.  I'm guessing again, but you should be able to get to everything. either in the forepeak or anchor rode locker.  I think the addition of the bowsprit was for performance as much as anything, carrying more sail and reduction of weather helm.  Be a shame not to take advantage of it.

5monkeys

The sailboat company has a DIY tip about extending the pulpit with stainless. It?s referenced as DIY 9 perhaps that would be a simple solution!

http://www.thingsofyesteryear-2u.com/
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170