a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

AC sea water inlet

Started by Cruzin, August 10, 2021, 10:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzin

My new to me 87-27 has what I assume is the factory air conditioning and it works well. My question is regarding the raw water inlet for the ac system in that does not have a seacock. The inlet appears to be just a metal pipe with no shut off valve of any kind. I don't understand why there would be no seacock or strainer on this. I assume it is the inlet as it runs from just aft of the motor to the ac water pump(?) and then to the ac unit and then discharges on the port side above the waterline. Are other 27s similarly plumbed or has mine been altered? It worries me with no valve to close it. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

wes

You are right to worry. That's improper for sure, leading me to doubt it's "factory." Probably installed by a previous owner. In fact I've never seen a "factory" AC system on a CP 27; doubt it would have been in option in the 1980s. Unfortunately you will probably have to haul out to install a proper seacock.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Cruzin

Thanks time for bottom paint anyway! I just couldn't believe it! I was wondering how many had ac. Would it need a strainer too or just a inlet weed guard?

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

wes

Manufacturers of current systems generally recommend a strainer. I'd download an installation manual from Dometic, Webasto or Mermaid and follow their instructions for the seawater intake system. Note that the water path should run continuously uphill from the through-hull to the compressor, and the strainer and pump should be below the waterline. A little tricky to achieve in a CP 27!

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina