a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Water Leak around Mast

Started by gmerrill, July 31, 2021, 05:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Recently sold my 18 Eclispe and the new owner called and said they had a bad leak around the mast during a bad rainstorm. During my ownership I would find a tablespoon of water in the compartment where the mast join to the ballast/hull. Seems like I read somewhere of a similar problem.  She assured me they had not bent or put the mast in a position that could have caused this
Responses please
Greg

waterwheels

I have found I have to re-caulk my Eclipse mast every year or two, depending on how many time you raise and lower the mast. There are some real stresses should the mast leave the centre line of the boat when raising begins. Think of how much pull you could get on a wrench with a 20' pipe on the end....thats whats going on if the tip of the mast starts to wonder when you first start to raise.

I try to make sure I am on level ground and have my first mate keep things straight with the shrouds the best she can.

Don

slode

I had a similar leak.  You really need to take off the top trim ring around the stub and pull it up so you have good access to the seam.  Dig out all the old sealant, clean things up, and apply new.  Use something that stays pliable and isn't permeant like 3M 4000UV.  This will prevent water running down the outside of the mast and keep the V-birth cushions dry.  But if the issue is water in the compartment, but no dripping external, it's coming from inside the mast from the hinge point.  Not much can be done about that other than sealing the joint if you leave the mast stepped for long periods.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41