Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bimini and dodger

Started by Whisper, January 17, 2021, 04:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whisper

Hi all
Just recovering from a torn shoulder rotator cuff and a fractured bone ,so have been out of action for awhile ,but it has enabled me to do some minor alterations to the boat to make life a little easier .
Have just had a new Bimini made that fits over the companion way and attaches to the cockpit Bimini for full sun protection .
The fwd Bimini has zippered clears that enclose two sides and the front section to make a great dodger or wind break .certainly makes a difference when the wind is cool .
Can sail with the dodger in place and it folds down to allow the mast to be lowered .
6 ft headroom when standing in the companionway and this makes getting in and out of the cabin easy, which would be a problem if the dodger was lower.
Also makes walking fwd safer having something to hold on to until you reach the side stays .
May be of interest to other Eclipse sailors.

Cpy23ecl

Just curious how much (if at all) does the dodger make it more difficult to go forward?  I've had dodgers on my last 3 sailboats and I think I will really miss it on the new eclipse.

Thx

Fred

Whisper

Hi Fred , it?s easy to go forward , the dodger is about 3 inches inside the teak hand rail , and then at the rear it extends out to the cockpit coaming with just one clip to undo to both go forward and to operate the jib sheet cleats .
I have found it safer because you have something to hold on to when going forward .
Previously I found stepping onto the coach roof without any thing to hold onto until you reached the side stays a bit daunting and precarious .
I?ve had dodgers on most of my boats and it is more comfortable .
Cheers Des

Cpy23ecl

Des,

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind sharing what did the dodger cost?  I had a dodger and bimini with a connector panel to fill the gap between the dodger and bimini on my Catalina 30.  It was really nice setup.

Fred

Whisper

Hi Fred , this is the same setup with an infill  piece that zips to connect the existing Bimini to the dodger.
The cost of the dodger fitted to the boat with the connector piece was $1200 aust.
Maybe a bit cheaper in your country .
Des

Cpy23ecl

Thanks Des.  I may need to look into having a dodger made.  I think I'm going to really miss not having one.

Fred

Paul G

Hi Des,

I?m in Sydney with an Eclipse and was today discussing with my sail loft the prospect of fitting a dodger.  Are you able to post some more photos of your setup?

Thanks,

Paul