a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-Pac Raven

Started by rchiare1, May 03, 2008, 10:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rchiare1

Have we overlooked one model of Com-Pac Yacht from our forum?
I am speaking of the Com-Pac Raven. I have a sales brochure from Hutchins offering:
"A Classic for the 21st Century - THE RAVEN"
The Suggested retail price list shows that a Raven cost $1,500 more than a 16CB. The spec sheet shows that the Raven Sail area was 13 sq feet more, the difference of the full masthead rig over the 7/8ths 16CB. Also, standard on the Raven was a CDI Jib furler and 146sq foot Spinnaker.
Otherwise the two boats were very much the same except for some cosmetic differences, like hull color, and "long tinted acrylic cabin windows" to replace the 16CB 4"port holes.
I can only find reference to production from 1995 to 1997. I have no idea how many were actually sold, but I don't think it was very many. There was a Hybrid model offered. The price sheet offers a "Raven Rig Package in Lieu of Standard - 16CB" for $1,550.
The Hybrid then would be a standard 16CB with a factory provided  Z-Spar Mast and Boom with internal lines, and associated sails.
I own hull # 2902 a Hybrid made in 1998, after the original Raven had ceased production.
I wonder if there are any other members of this forum with similar boats. Either Raven or Hybrids. To date the only one I know of was offered for sale on this site in Aug or Sept of 2007 see:" Interested in CP 16 or 19 " 
The owner in Troy Mi, said that he bought his 1998 Raven new in 2002. Maybe he got the last one?

I think the Raven might be of interest to all CP16 owners because it was sold as having addressed many of the concerns expressed by owners (I quote from Hutchins Brochure): The SS Centerboard for improved Windward performance. A larger kick up rudder, to help keep you in the groove. " I believe that the Z-Spar masthead rig was touted as improving the weather helm also.

Do I have the only one? I've never sailed any other Com-Pac so I don't know if the claims are justified.
I recently contacted the factory asking for the measurement specs on the Genoa/Jib, and was told that they have been lost in the transfer from paper to computer archives.

doug

Interesting question. I have a 2002 CB-16 and its always interesting to see other 16's up close. As I sail the Bay, which has light airs, it would be nice to have a masthead rig and something larger than the working jib but the wallet is always a little light. I have seen a picture of a Raven on line, but thats as close as I have come.

rchiare1

doug
I just purchsed a new roller furling jib from Rolly Tasker / National Sail Supply for $286.
The original 10 year old sail were made of "High Tech Mylar" very light weight and probably good for racing, but I ordered 3oz dacron as a replacement.

Scott_S

I own a 1996 hybrid. Four round port holes, white hull with Raven rig and sails. Centerboard and internal halyards and new sail plan are  nice additions. The boom gooseneck is a little weird though. There is no place to connect the tack of the sail, so I tie it with a rope or use my reefing line. The boom does not slide up and down the track. There is a one inch pin that sticks out from the mast and you stick that in a hole in the forward end of the boom. You have to watch it or the boom will come off the pin. I tie a rope around the mast to hold the boom forward to prevent it from slipping off the pin. The other unique thing about this rig is the shroud lines have a T at the top ends which insert into holes near the top of the mast. They have a tendency to come out when raising and lowering the mast. I added a bolt through the side holes to hold the side stays in the mast. To keep the forestay in the hole I added an aluminum fairlead straddling the forestay so the T can not swing to the side and come out.

I love the hybrid Com-pac 16. I personally prefer the upgraded 16 over the Legacy. But now they have the Legacy Sport, with the larger cockpit which would be great, but beyond my sailing budget.

If anyone else is familiar with the Raven rig with the pin on the mast that inserts into the hole on the front of the boom, and no place to attach the tack of the mainsail, I'd like to hear how it was supposed to work or how they deal with it.

Happy Sailing.
'83 Com-Pac 16, Sunfish, Com-Pac Picnic Cat, '96 Com-Pac 16CB Raven