a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Headsail sheeting questions

Started by LTBSLR, February 15, 2021, 03:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTBSLR

Lucy M (CP-19 #163) just received a new suit of sails, it?s management having finally decided that the 1983 originals owe nothing more. I?ve used the single long-line, cow hitch in the middle approach forever (with different sheets on differing headsails), but now am considering going with one long-line(or two shorter dual ones), with attachment which would allow more simple sail changes.

Any thoughts on either 1.) change from single to dual sheets or 2.) the best way to attach it/them to the sail? I?d assumed an appropriately-sized D Clip is ok, but have been reading about the advantages of soft shackles (no dings on the boat nor on the crew?s head from flipping around), with which I?ve had no experience.

Thanks.

Tom George

Bob23

Hi Tom. I came up with a way of attaching the sheet using no metal fasteners at all. I'll try to explain, wish I knew hot to post photos. First, I have a single sheet with a permanent loop tied halfway on the sheet. I then use a short length of thick line with a stopper knot tied in each end. I tie one knot, thread the thick line through the loop in the sheet then back through the grommet on the sail where a second stopper knot is tied. Simple, cheap, no metal and it holds just fine. I've had my 23 out in 30 knots of wind with no problem.

I could email you a photo next time I'm at the boat.
Cheers!
Bob23

LTBSLR

Bob- Thank you.  Yes, please send a photo when you have a chance.  (We have 18? of snow in the front yard today, so it certainly ain?t urgent.)

LTBSLR

Thank you. I had not seen that approach before.
Launch week after next.  We?re going to give it a try.

Bob23

Thank you Damsel. This is pretty much what I do. Sorry LT I forget to send an email.
Bob23