a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cetol re-application

Started by Renae, February 06, 2021, 03:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renae

Below zero F for the next week, but when we get a thaw, I plan to remove and refinish the teak.  My plan is a light sanding (grit size?  wet vs dry?), then a reapplication.  For the thin decorative strip around the cabin, I'll probably just tape off and spot treat a couple of chips, as I think removal would almost certainly involve breaking the strip.

Thots?

Cpy23ecl

While I've not yet reapplied Cetol I do have years of experience with finishing wood as my father was a custom cabinet maker (and a true master craftsman) and I helped him a lot over the years.

He always sanded the raw wood down to 180 grit and then applied the first coat of the conversion varnish he always used.  Once dry it was dry sanded with 220 grit and the finish coat was applied.  This resulted in a satiny smooth finish. 

I'd dry sand with 220 and vacuum up the sanding dust and then wipe with a microfiber cloth.

Fred

Wayne J

Here is the information regarding cetol.  I have applied touch-up gloss after very lightly sanding old surface.

Wayne
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Gerry

I love Cetol.  All I do is sand and apply with a disposable sponge brush.  No more varnish for me.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Renae

I did everything but the gallows over the past 2 days.  Much improved, although chipped areas are never going to flawlessly match the rest.  That's probably the best argument for a maintenance approach.  From now on, I'll reapply Cetol every 3 years (the Floozy sleeps indoors).

Bob23

I've used Cetol on my 23 for about 10 years now as well as on my customers outside railings which are mahogany and are outside 24/7/352. The most important thing to remember is to apply the clear gloss coat as the top coat. It gives a hardness and durability to the finish. When it gets thin, a light scuffing up and reapplication of Cetol is all it takes, then another top gloss coat. No need to sand to bare wood, unless of course you're into that sort of thing.
Bob23

fried fish

352? Is that with with a two week vacation?
:)

Bob23

Indeed! I forgot to mention that I'm an amateur time traveler so things get messed up at time. Still learning- this time travelling thing isn't as easy as Doc Brown makes it seem!