a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Loose Footed Main

Started by multimedia_smith, January 10, 2007, 04:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multimedia_smith

My question is regarding a loose footed main.

I just got the heavy air jib from Dirk and it is truly a work of art... extremely well made (pics to follow)  I have been using it in conjunction with the original Johnson main because I don't want to blow out my new full batten "light air" main.   ( also don't want to roll it or reef it if I don't have to )

Today I went out in pretty heavy conditions, which wasn't any problem for the 60% jib and main rolled up to about nine feet of luff.  However when I was pulling the leech of the sail back to flatten it on the boom, the rear seam tore and I realized that the 19 year old sail has seen its best days... time for a new heavier mainsail.

I'm thinking of a loose footed heavier material with 3 reef points.  Is anyone here using a loose footed main?  It would seem like you would have more shape control.  Do you have a center cringle when unreefed like when reefed?  Also on this rig, I'm thinking of not going with battens.  What do you all think?

Thanks in advance

Dale

Craig Weis

The only thing sailed that had a loose footed main was my Penguin and that worked very well. However I'm thinking that a loose footed main was considered during the design phase of your boat and rejected for whatever reason...go figure.
Since I"m going to the All Sail Show I'll ask Richard about this question.skip.

2007~So I just a few weeks ago asked Rich about loose footed mains...and the response was that's what was [not loose] was decided as working best by the designer and by the sail maker. So be it. skip.

multimedia_smith

Hi Skip,

Well the new main finally arrived and I've had it out twice now... the first time was with winds in the twenties and I used the reef points... they should be plenty. (reef one at three and a half feet, reef two at seven feet).

It occurred to me that as soon as you reef, you are essentially loose footed anyway... (although you can create some downward force on the sail from wrapping the tie gathers under the boom.)

Yesterday, the conditions were near perfect with winds around 10 - 12... The loose foot allows for increcible shaping control.  I could make it virtually flat for high winds or when on a reach... and this is the really cool part... I could ease the outhaul and create a shape that looked a lot like the 155 genoa.  I was able to maintain hull speed with this set up, so it not only looks good but it works well too... I only wish I'd had a camera.

Full bellied or flat, there was no characteristic diagonal wrinkle from the clew pointing to mid luff as can sometimes be created with the other main when trimmed incorrectly.  The "pocket" was fairly forward.  So, my full battened main will be reserved for mostly light air under 12  and I won't have to blow it out... It'll be nice to have the new "heavy air main" for everything else...

The folks at national did a good job... and are keeping the specs available for any other 16 owners who would like one.