a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Reef Points in Stock Sail

Started by Brent65, January 05, 2021, 03:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

How many reef points come standard on the new Eclipse?  Has anyone felt they need for more reefing points? 

slode

The stock sail comes with one reef.  That's plenty for any inland lake sailing.  I've been in conditions with gusts pushing high 30s and it was manageable.  A second reef in an 87sq ft. sail doesn't leave much of anything left to be useful. 

If it does get uncomfortable in heavy weather if you know how to tack without the help of a headsail (sheet out as you come about until your well past head to wind then sheet back in) the Eclipse doesn't beat horribly with reefed main alone and stays pretty upright.  And she sails beautifully on a beam reach and anything downwind of that with the main down and a hanker chief of genoa out.  And if it gets uncomfortable after that I don't think a second reef is going to help.  Take everything down and motor back!
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

I second Slode's comments.  I have been out in a blow that exceeded 30 mph and realized that throwing the anchor out with lots of line and riding out the storm in the cabin was the best choice (for me).  That second reef, if it is added to an existing one reef point sail will put virtually nothing in the air.  If, on the other hand, when the sail is being built adding a second reef point would put the first reef lower on the sail and the second reef slightly higher than a single reef sail.  Not sure that sentence makes sense.  duh...  My take is if you want/need a second reef have it built into a new sail - don't add it to a stock single reef point sail.  A good friend of mine, who is a great sailor always said no need for a second reef point because if it gets that bad, I am heading in.  Not a bad philosophy.  My new sail is only 2 years old and is stock for the Eclipse with one reef point and it does a great job even reefed.  I have reefed it maybe 4 times.  The Eclipse can handle more weather than I can....