a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

the core sound

Started by mr toad, April 10, 2007, 04:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr toad

i am taking mr toad, 23/3 to the pamlico sound this summer - would like to leave ocracoke to beaufort via the core sound

any suggestions

are there any places to stop , food , fuel,

thanks

rdeal
mr toad 23/2

dawntreader

Mr. Toad,

I'm new to the site, but have had a C-23 for a long time and have done a lot of sailing on the Pamlico.

Core sound is not a route that I would recommend.  I have done it once, but the channel is very tricky, changes direction frequently, is not well marked, and at times is less than 20 feet wide.  We were able to navigate it using GPS with a computer charted route.

Where will you be setting out from on your trip?

mike

tsaiapex

I second Mike that to reach Beaufort from Ocracoke via Core Sound will be tricky and you will face head wind all the way.  To avoid the shallows, you could sail from Ocracoke to West Bay and Long Bay the cut back to Core Sound via the Thorofare Canal.   Bring bug spary to fight the green-headed-biting flies.

Are you sure you can launch CP23 at Matthews Point Marina?  I sailed there two years ago and could hardly get CP19 close to their ramp.  The ramp had no solid surface and was rather shallow.  A beautiful marina though.  Good luck with your trip.

Jeff Tsai
CP19, Mary Grace

Paul

Just out of curiosity, would any dare to go the outside route in a CP-23 if the weather forecast was good.  That would be roughly 40 or so miles from Ocracoke to Beaufort, I'd guess.  But, what a ride?!

Paul

dawntreader

Paul,

I've done the Beaufort to Cape Lookout a number of times, both in my 23 and previously with my 16. 

I'd try it with a perfect weather window, but I'd probably break it up with a stop at Cape Lookout.

mike

Paul

Mike,
Sounds like an adventure!