a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer ideas - flat bed equipment trailer mods

Started by CurtTampa, February 15, 2020, 08:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtTampa

After briefly losing my mind considering selling my C27 - I've decided to keep it. My marina cost have surged to just over $400.00 a month. I'm not really using the boat (work and traffic to the marina) to justify that expense. My current idea is to let it live on a trailer at the house. My work is dead November December so I could launch her for a Key West or Bahamas 45 day mini sabbatical. Now the issue becomes a trailer. The good folks at Triad want $6800.  I can buy a new excavator trailer 10,000 pound capacity for 3500 and add jack stands. I thought there was discussion about such a set up on here but I can't find it. Any thoughts suggestions or photos of such a trailer?

peterg

I am a fan of Triad. I had them build a trailer for my Whitby Folkboat and I was confident in the integrity and safety of the design while towing. The boat fit perfectly and was quite secure, lending peace of mind while running 60 mph down the road. That said, the C27 is fairly light at 6000 pounds, and a quality flatbed trailer, with a sailboat cradle rather than boat stands, could be a perfectly acceptable rig. My Folkboat weighed very close to the weight of the C27, and I towed with a V8  F150 with tow package.
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

CurtTampa

Agree the Triad is a great way to go - just not in the budget. The stands scare me somewhat but I guess if there were enough of them. Cradle would be ideal. I'm close the factory maybe they have one in the yard to study measure.

Trapper

I'm new to the Com Pac 27 but I sure can comment on the Triad Trailer.  A few years ago, I purchased a Triad for my Pearson Ensign.  I LOVE IT!  I have travelled all over the east coast and to the Mid-West with that trailer and it is wonderful.  At about the same time that I purchased my Triad, a friend purchased a brand X (professionally made but not a Triad) Ensign yard trailer.  As a yard trailer it did not have brakes and only one axel.  Well as luck would have it, I ended up with the boat and the brand x trailer.  It has been sitting in my barn for about 2 years.  It looks like new.  When my husband went to pull the boat out of the barn one of the rear support legs fell off and the boat tumbled off the trailer.  Lots of folks have been under that 3,000 pound boat sanding the bottom.   Thank god, no one was hurt.

My rule has been -- no work done on my beautiful Triad--  New Rule:  any work under the boat is to be done on the boat lift or the Triad.  I just purchased my Com Pac 27 in August, but I am planning on a Triad trailer.