Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Canvas and cushions

Started by rwsandersii, September 23, 2020, 01:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwsandersii

Hello,
Has anyone recently bought v-berth cushions or a deck level cover for their 27? 
I'll try not to turn this into a long rant about the marina I'm in, but my wife and I would like to get a topper for the v-berth for some extra cushion for her, and it is hard to get time to keep up with the wood right now so I've been covering the boat with a winter cover and it is a bear, or like wrestling a bear to get it in place after a sail.  My best time is 45 minutes.  So we'd like to get a deck level cover. 
The quote we got first round was $3k for the cover and $2k for the cushions.  Maybe I lost track of things, but I was expecting more like $2500 for the cover and $500 for the cushions.  So I'm hoping to find a reasonable alternative with someone who already has the measurements. 
Thanks,
Richard
Compac 27/3
"Of Beren and Luthien"
"Of Beren and Luthien" 2010 Compac 27/3
"Silmaril" 2008 Vanguard Nomad
"Thunderchild" 1990 Compac 23/3 (former owner)

wes

I bought some Sunbrella in a pleasing color from a fabric outlet store and took it and my original v-berth cushions to a local upholsterer, which is what I'd recommend to you. Any good upholsterer can disassemble the old ones and make new ones to match. I had him replace the foam, and spent some time trying out various foam densities until I found one that gave good support. "Lying on" foam needs to be softer than "sitting on" foam, because your weight is distributed over a much larger area. Another way of saying that good foam for seat cushions will be way too hard for sleeping.

By the time you buy the materials and pay the upholsterer, budget is probably close to 1 boat unit.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

rwsandersii

Thanks.  I'm probably going to do things that way for the cushions.  We don't even need the disassembly step as we are looking for a topper to go over the cushions.  I may even just buy a mattress topper as they are inexpensive and have that cut to fit. 
I may try to do my own measurements for the cover and find another vendor for that also.  There are plenty on-line. 

Do you still have both Compacs, or is that a history?  We used to have a 23 but my wife wanted an enclosed head and standing headroom. 
"Of Beren and Luthien" 2010 Compac 27/3
"Silmaril" 2008 Vanguard Nomad
"Thunderchild" 1990 Compac 23/3 (former owner)

brackish

I'm lucky in one way in that I live in what is known as the promotional and motion furniture capital of the world.  So there are foam factories all around, and many furniture workers doing local moonlighting.  I haven't needed the service lately, but readily available when I do. 

With regard to the topper, I just went to Big Lots, got a topper that could be cut to size, then got the old sewing machine out and made a custom fitted sheet that would cover the topper and cushions.  It was a learn as you go project, I had no idea how to sew, thank you YouTube.  When not used for sleeping I just roll up the topper, keep it in the front of the V-berth. Had some pictures but they succumbed to the Photobucket extortion attempt and don't remember which file had the originals.  Got to sort all that out and consolidate some day.

wes

Richard - yes, I still have both boats. It makes me entitled to call myself Commodore.

I spent a year restoring the 19, and a couple of years sailing it. Then one day:

Me: Hey look, here's a 1988 Compac 27 for sale on Craigslist, exactly the same year as our 19.
Wife: You're out of your mind. No way do we need another sailboat.
Me: It has a bathroom with a door on it.
Wife: OK, I'm in.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina