a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Headroom

Started by Whisper, July 03, 2020, 02:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whisper

I find the headroom in my Eclipse a bit of a challenge mainly when I want to move around or access something .
The hatch when open is very limiting ,it?s hard up against my back and a nuisance when trying to pull the toilet out .
I previously owned a Stornaway , an English design but built in Aus .
One of things I really liked was that the hatch was an open space nearly up to the mast , which made walking through the boat a lot easier as well as making any adjustment to reefing etc a breeze and it meant that I didn?t have to go forward on the deck.
I could actually set the anchor from standing inside the boat right up near the mast .
I don?t envisage being able to do that on the eclipse ,but the advantages are enormous ,like setting a whisker pole to hold the jib out when running .
Also found it safer with young children if they can stand inside when the weather turns .
The Stornaway  had a tight fitting waterproof canvas that covered the hatch area to make it weatherproof .
Which I will do plus add a small dodger .
I have seen some compacs made into mini trawlers but think that?s a lot of work and may affect resale .
If it?s time to sell and buyers don?t like what I have done then the old hatch arrangement can be reinstalled and made to look good without too much trouble.
Has anyone come up with any ideas to improve moving around inside the boat easier ,I would be interested to hear before I start cutting the hatch out .
Thanks

MatC

Hi Des,

Hope you're well.

I read your post last night and gasped! I hope you haven't gone ahead with cutting out your hatch!! There is a compromise with every boat.

Perhaps come take a look in my cabin when next in the Kettering area...

...the entire 'galley' area has been taken out and the front berth has been lowered inline with quarter berths. There is much more room now. I'm 6 foot and have no problem sitting up and moving about.

As for the dodger...have a think about that also...it would make it tricky getting in and out of the cabin. Again; a compromise and this is just my 2c worth. :-)

Send me a PM if you're keen on catching up.

Stay safe...
Mat
STAY SALTY!

Whisper

Gday Mat , unfortunately tore my rotator cuff and fractured a bone in my shoulder earlier in the year and have had it operated on . But it?s a long recovery and that has dampened plans .
I saw your video of Wineglass bay and was impressed .
My grandson got married at Coles Bay late Sept and we took that opportunity to do a Pennicot cruise in to wineglass bay so we just missed see you there . We did see some whales which was specky though .
The cruise took us up to the nuggets (rocks) which have always been my nemesis sailing down the coast of a night.
There seems to be a set that pulls you into the nuggets and the Cape Tourville lighthouse is a long way on shore from them which is misleading . Anyway it was nice to get up close and personal to them in daylight .
The East coast can be treacherous at times with strong winds but when it?s good it?s just glorious.
I haven?t cut the top out of the boat and probably won?t do it now , think resale  value might be affected but it would work ok . Just finding at my age that I?m not as agile as I used to be .
I?m having a dodger made next week and I think that will give me some comfort ,unfortunately it has to be fairly high to give easy access to the cabin .
Hope to get the boat back in the water then and have some fun .
I saw the interior of your boat online when it was last for sale and it looks like the PO did a good job of cutting the bunk down to size .
I would like to Catch up and have a look sometime and maybe see you on the water.
Cheers Des

MatC

Hi Des,

Sailing into Hobart and staying the night at Kings Pier tomorrow night if you're about for a catch up. Have sent you a PM with my number.

Hope you're well.

Mat
STAY SALTY!