a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking at 2001 Mercury 3.3 for my CP16

Started by konstan, October 14, 2020, 04:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

konstan

Looking at a local listing for a 2001 Mercury 3.3 for my cp16.
2 stroke, short shaft, looks like in good condition. Forward and neutral only.
Will I be able to spin it around for reverse?

Gerry

I see two problems:  short shaft and no reverse.  And 2 strokes are polluters.  I use reverse in our marina all of the time.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

konstan

Main reason I was thinking of going with a short shaft is that because here in the lowcountry SC you go a ways before you have more than a couple feet of water beneath you... Seriously though, how bad will a short shaft be?

konstan

Since it was close, I just trailered my boat 2 miles to where the motor seller was. I wanted to see it mounted on the bracket. Looked perfect.

Took it out on the water Saturday. Really glad it had the regular shaft. It?s pretty shallow around here especially at low tide.

Ken J

Short shaft is no problem at all on a 16 - and I have no problem with no reverse - only needed for backing out of a slip - then just turn around and go - my view is if you need it for docking your coming in too fast two strokes tend to be less heavy than 4 strokes

konstan

Yes forgot to mention that, it spins 180 to go in 'reverse' so I have that covered. The motor came with spare pins and a receipt for new carb, new fuel tank, etc that was just done. Not bad for $400 -- here in Low Country people want crazy money for old motors from like 1970's; in all, this was a pretty good buy.

kickingbug1

i had a mercury 4 hp 4 stoke on my catalina 18. being a single cylinder it vibrated like crazy and i never could get it to run right. i replaced it with a 1994 johnson 4 hp two stroke twin. starts easy, doesnt mind unleaded gas, idles well and being a twin cylinder runs very smooth. forward and neutral not a problem and its also half the weight. give me a two stroke any day
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

konstan

Dunno if I?d say vibration has been an issue... I love having the greater range available to me and it starts on the 1st pull... I also like the smell of the 2 stroke but I realize that?s not for everyone...