a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need help with centerboard on a 16

Started by Scott_S, June 08, 2020, 08:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_S

I recently acquired a 1996 Compac 16 that has always been stored on the trailer. I put it in the water for the first time two weeks ago and the centerboard would not go down. I brought it home; blocked up the trailer; and lifted and blocked up the boat.  When I looked at the centerboard trunk from under the boat, I saw a slot in the centerboard below the pin. I assume the centerboard is mounted by sliding the the centerboard onto the pin along this slot. Does anyone know the shape of the slot? Is it "L" or "J" shaped or just straight with the centerboard sitting on the pin? It also looks like there is a rubber bushing on each side of the centerboard below the pin.  I was able to get the centerboard to move freely while the boat was blocked up on the trailer. I tried to spray some WD40 above the pivot to insure continued mobility. When I went sailing this weekend, the board would not go down again. Looking for suggestions. Hopefully others have overcome this issue.
'83 Com-Pac 16, Sunfish, Com-Pac Picnic Cat, '96 Com-Pac 16CB Raven

ameysails

hope you get some help with this
cuz. we have a CB and if the future offers this challenge your query will help us too
thanks for the question
now we await the answers...talk to the ComPac folks (they know for sure) and then let us know

ey and atm
Slainte'
88   PI'd PI'pr

Scott_S

I lifted the boat a few inches off the trailer and placed blocks between the cradles and the hull. With the possibility that something may have gotten caught up in the centerboard trunk, causing the centerboard to stick in the up position, I blew compressed air up into the centerboard trunk to see if I could blow anything out. Then I sprayed water from the waterhose up into the centerboard trunk hoping to flush something out. I did not see anything come out, but the board did go down the next time I went sailing. :-)
Happy Sailing!
'83 Com-Pac 16, Sunfish, Com-Pac Picnic Cat, '96 Com-Pac 16CB Raven