a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fix Trailer for Sale or not?

Started by pbrenton, May 26, 2021, 04:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrenton

Hi Folks,  I have a 1985 Compac 23/II that I plan to sell next year so I can upgrade to something a little better at cruising (with standing headroom and a shower, but that's a different discussion).  I have the tandem trailer but it's in poor shape; the winch post needs to be replaced, the taillights and electrical wiring too, and one axle is bent.  The basic galvanized frame is in excellent shape despite many salt water dips and the rollers and springs I replaced within the last few years and kept the wheel bearings in grease.  Tires have been stored in a basement and are adequate.

The question is; do I (1) fix the trailer before trying to sell her, (2) leave it as is and offer it as part of the package (clearly indicating it's not usable as is), or (3) scrap the trailer and sell the boat without it?  It seems to me that the boat will sell better with a trailer (I know it made a difference for me).  I can get it to a local trailer fixit place for a rehab, but would not want to lose money on that.

If it matters, this will be in the Portland ME area.  Not a bad secondhand boat market,  but not South Florida either.

Thanks, -Pete
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

Bilgemaster

It seems to me that the obvious best choice is to pass that trailer on as-is with the boat to the next owner, and let him or her decide its fate. The lights and winch issues seem like very low budget fixer-upper issues, though the "bent axle" you mention is a bit more worrisome. But just let the next owner fuss with it, seeing as how you're unlikely to recoup any outlay you'd make to improve it.

Just give the boat a good cleaning and waxing for improved "curb appeal", and kick that trailer issues can HARD down someone else's road.

As for your looking to "upgrade to something a little better at cruising (with standing headroom and a shower, but that's a different discussion)", if you still hope to go "easily trailerable", have a looksee at the old MacGregor 26X and subsequent 26M models. Sure, "real-man salty Sailor Bob types " with bowlines tied in their pubes make fun of those hybrid power-sailing "Waterbagos", but I adore mine, and they DO have enough headroom (about 5'11" facing the galley in my 26X--maybe a tad more throughout in the later 26M) that will at least allow you to hit the pause button on your Quasimodo impersonation ("I loved the fair Esmeralda, but she didn't like my hump!"), a comfortable head (porta-potty and a little sink atop a cabinet) with a good sturdy door, and you won't need a special wide load permit or some huge diesel monster truck every time you wanna move it down the road. My 26X came to me with all the optional aftermarket pressure water system gear: bladders, pumps, hoses, fittings, spigots, etc., along with stuff for handheld showers in both the head and at the transom, but I've yet to get around to finishing the previous owner's "half-install." For more info on the 26X, watch this: https://youtu.be/HDKfX6d4qHk. It's not what anyone would call a "blue water" craft ready to cast the lines and circumnavigate, but perfectly adequate for coastal meanderings, and many owners do head over to the Bahamas, sail the Keys--those sort of trips.

And since you mention Maine, I recently stumbled onto the charming "Captain Q: Yacht Hunter" channel. The Cap'n travels around up thereabouts looking over and rating "inspirational and aspirational" older boats that are up for sale, many of which are astonishingly affordable. He's not some cheesy hard-selling glad-handing boat broker dipshit--just an older dude who knows a few things and appreciates well-kept older boats. So heat up a bowl of Dinty Moore Stew and commence binge-watching: https://youtube.com/c/CaptainQYachtHunter.

5monkeys

pbrenton,
    I think it's worth getting the estimate before you decide(especially if it's a free estimate), obviously at some point it's cost prohibitive to fix and you may decide not to, but even just providing cost of repair and parts needed to prospective buyers would add value.  That said, if you were to fix the trailer, I feel like it opens you to a larger sales market and maybe a higher selling price, it also allows a means for the buyer to immediately close the sale and remove the boat, which sometimes is a huge value add to you the seller, who is ready to just move on.
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Jim in TC

I agree with this...plus you will be able to provide a buyer with the vendor who could do repairs and an idea of how long it might take. But still, being able to drive off right away (or very soon) can be a pretty powerful incentive (and inability to do so can be a real disincentive).
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

slode

I would get the quote (if free) so you have a professional's list of what needs to be fixed and the parts involved.  But advertise "as is".  If buyer wants you to arrange repairs then fine, they still pay for it. 

Personally, If I wanted the boat I would buy the axle, grab my backup light set that straps to whatever I'm pulling and has 50' of wire, a jack, and some tools and do the axle replacement in your driveway so I could bring it home and do the rest of the work myself. 

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

kickingbug1

i would say fix the trailer. years ago when i was still looking i passed on quite a few boats because the trailer was crap. even though a 23 isnt really a trailer sailor the buyer still needs to get it home and launched. it doesnt sound like a fix would be such a big deal
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

As an aside, when I bought my 1985 23 14 years ago, I was so instantly in love with the boat that I never even looked at the trailer! I did everything wrong-didn't sail her, didn't even look at the sails, didn't run the motor and bought it from a lawyer! Had I looked at the trailer, I might not have completed the deal which would have been the mistake of a lifetime!!

I pulled the trailer home, replaced the backing plates, brakes, drums, bearings, fenders, brake actuator and lines. I put multiple more times money into the trailer than the boat and it serves me still to this day.

Bob23

Reighnman

I looked at a Seaward 23 last year that was being sold without a trailer. The price was well below market and he told me it was bc of the lack of a trailer. He had so many calls from potential buyers he had to write in bold letters there was no trailer in the ad and still people called asking if it had a trailer.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat