a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Life jacket recommendations

Started by P-sail, January 05, 2020, 03:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P-sail

I bought my 16-2 in November and won't be on the water until spring. I am in the process of acquiring things we need for safe and enjoyable sailing. We have West Marine inflatable life vests that are comfortable and non restrictive that we used in Florida sailing and elsewhere kayaking. I think that since early season sailing here in the finger Lakes (NY) will involve some extra clothing and cold water temp, that a more substantial life vest would be a smart move.

I have searched here for this topic without much luck. Looking for recommendations, please.

Thanks, Paul & Holly
Paul
87 CP 16-2
Hull 2509 SOLD
2008 SunCat
Hull 282

Tim Gardner

Well Paul,  Rig a life line fore and aft along the centerline and buy an inflatable with a harness and attach yourself to the lifeline.  The finger lakes are cold enough to kill you until mid June or later if you fall overboard and your boat sails away.  Make sure your boarding ladder is really climb-able.  Maybe a second line to the tiller for insurance the boat won't sail away when you go overboard as well.  and a change of clothes in the cabin to get dry.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

Tim is spot on, concentration should be on not going over in the first place in cold water.  I have two auto inflatables, one for hot weather that is very light and one for cold weather that is heavier, has a D-ring for attaching a tether to a lifeline or fixed point.  Also good to wear foul weather clothing that has ankle, wrist and neck velcro closures so as to act somewhat like a wet suit if you go over, having the external water transfer be minimized with the water close to your body staying warmer than the external.  A note about cold water life jackets:

https://www.lifejacketassociation.org/life-jackets/choosing-a-life-jacket/cold-water-survival/

Gerry

I use an inflatable because of comfort.  In fact, I use two: 1) for sailing use the type that has a dissolving pill; in case you get knocked out or over. 2) the pull type is better for kayaking, etc., you don't want it to inflate every time it gets wet.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

P-sail

Thanks everyone. Brackish, what brand, model, etc is your "heavier" inflatable?

Paul
Paul
87 CP 16-2
Hull 2509 SOLD
2008 SunCat
Hull 282

brackish

Quote from: P-sail on January 06, 2020, 07:51:18 PM
Thanks everyone. Brackish, what brand, model, etc is your "heavier" inflatable?

Paul

Don't remember, going to the boat tomorrow will check then.

wes

Mustang Survival MD3184 if you want the sailing harness. $235 at Defender. Because friends don't let friends wear anything with a West Marine logo.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

jdklaser

Maybe a spray top with a Stohlquist Edge PFD  warm with room to move.

brackish

My heavier jacket is a Stearns model 1473.  My light jacket is an Onyx A/M 24.  Neither was expensive, neither has had real life testing.  Probably should although both are showing green indicator.  The Stearns has much heavier harness strapping and a D-ring for a tether.

Jim in TC

We have found the old orange Mae West's to be comfortable enough, but recognize that we are in a minority on that. The inflatables are definitely a favorite with many boaters but put maintenance on the calendar! I don't know the specifics, but there is a sort of "best by" date for the mechanism that does the inflating. If memory serves, it is generally 5 years. I only learned this when reading about a drowning during the Chicago to Mackinaw race (I think last summer) involving an inflatable jacket that didn't and an experienced crew.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel