a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trolling motor sizing?

Started by Cats Paw, July 07, 2020, 04:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cats Paw

Hi all,  What would be an adequate  thrust rating for an electric trolling motor to push a compact 16'  General use to leave and return to in close proximity to dock.  Any further input on battery would help. I just do not want to oversize if not needed,  Thanks in advance  fellow sailors'

Stay cool and in the breeze,,, Cats Paw    SV Ru-ach 16    1980

In The Pocket

I use this (https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Minn-Kota-Electric-Trolling-Motor-30-Lbs-thrust_32353150), a 30lb thrust, Minn-Kota troller. 

I've only sailed on small lakes thus far so it's enough for me.  It gets the job done and makes docking and departing the dock a breeze.  I've even used it to run the full length of the lake recently with the mast down (to traverse under a bridge), it was slow going but it didn't let me down.  If you're going to be on anything with a current, larger lake or the ocean you'll want gas power. 

mikehennessy

I use a 55lb thrust Minn Kota on my Sunday Cat lake sailing.  Generally use it on the second to slowest setting to take the sail down and go into dock.  If heading into a strong wind, need to increase power to keep heading into wind.  Would not use on a river with strong current.
2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"

Renae

Under what conditions?

On flat water, I can move my Suncat with a canoe paddle and get enough momentum to turn the boat.  I've also had a couple of gnarly adventures with motor issues in tight spaces and well-above-forcast winds. 

1 30# troller would work if all you wanted to do is to push a de-rigged boat off a dock with no other traffic onto a 500 acre lake in light winds.  Creeping on you a little bit, though, your profile seems to indicate you are sailing on Lake St. Clair.  Do you really want to be out in everything that context means without at least a couple HP?

I think the positives of going electric make sense, but not if it means going underpowered.  Your motor is part of your safety plan.

My $0.02.

mr.jadkowski

A 50 lb trolling motor will push my CP16 at hull speed. It doesn't take much. I worry more about the range than the power.

Cats Paw

Thanks all for your input. I happen to find good info on sizing a motor on the West Marine website.

I am looking to keep the boat in the water at my access and sail on Elizabeth Lake in Oakland County Michigan. 400 acres of open water. The only way to hit bottom is to run into the shore. I thought an electric trolling motor would simply things for my home lake. I will  have to consider a good algae resisting bottom paint also.

Otherwise I have Ru-Ach powered with a 3.5 Tahatsu long shaft. Hull speed at have throttle and very lean on the fuel usage.

The Tohatsu  once powered Ru-Ach  back into Munising bay 4 miles out with a headwind of 8 knts. on our direct return course. Although a great sail out that day along the Pictured Rocks of Lake Superior.   Just a side story.