a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Broken sail slugs

Started by ChasRN, June 29, 2020, 05:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChasRN

I brought this subject up in another thread about rudder vibration and got some good advice (thanks Bruce) on replacing the broken slugs. I thought some of the information from my conversation today with CP/Hutchins on this subject may be of interest to the Sun Cat community, so I started a separate thread.

The background is that a couple of the slugs on my Sun Cat gave way during a relatively mild gust and before I could lower sail, the rest broke off. The break on all the slugs was at the point the semi-circle attaches to the base. I phoned Com Pac this morning to order replacements (p/n MRJSS0146 per the catalog)and had an informative conversation.

The first thing I learned was that Com Pac has no inventory of the Sun Cat 7/16" slug . The reason that they are out of stock is that there's been a mini-run on Sun Cat slugs and not only do they not have any, but they are also having difficulty getting them from their supplier. As to size, ComPac says you needn't use the same 7/16" that they do - they said anything from 3/8" to 1/2" should be fine. Com Pac recommended that I try and buy replacement slugs elsewhere as they don't really have a date for when they'll be back in stock. Perhaps most interestingly, it looks like all of the folks who have recently broken slides have Doyle sails with the slugs held by webbing - myself included.

That may just be coincidence, but Com Pac ships newer Sun Cats ship with sails attached via plastic shackles rather than webbing. Com Pac has also changed sailmakers and no longer uses Doyle. That these newer boats are seeing fewer broken slides may simply be to them being newer, or perhaps the plastic shackle gives way before there's enough strain on the slug to break. In fact, Com Pac recommended shackles over webbing for my repair and indeed, the Sun Cat parts catalog lists p/n MRJSS0147, Shackle for sail slug.

For my fix, I plan to use 1/2" slugs since a) I read in one of the threads here that the Sun Cat mast is a Dyer DM 375 that accommodates 1/2" round sail slugs and b) the factory said 1/2" should be OK. I'm also planning on taking the factory's advice and using shackles (I didn't ask what size but 1-1/8 looks right).

Any strong feelings from the Sun Cat community about these choices?
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

bruce

Thanks, Charlie, great feedback. I hadn't heard of shortages, but it isn't surprising given the current situation. I have some 3/8" spares, if anyone is stuck.

The only issue with length, as long as the diameter works, is can they all fit on the mast stub with the other stuff that needs to be there before lowering the mast? I'm guessing 1 1/8" is OK.

The only failure I've had, with the Com-Pac supplied plastic shackles, was a slug. Neither the SC or PC are over canvassed.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Andre

The couple of times I've purchased slugs and shackles, I got them from Sailrite the fabric and sewing machine guys.  Their free print catalog had good illustrations and dimensions which made finding a match easy.

This was for a PC but I would imagine they're the same - I'm pretty sure that even my HC uses the same ones.

Andre

DanM

I'm not surprised by any parts shortages. I have some items back-ordered from West Marine. I talked to a customer relations guy there, he said they had to furlough many warehouse people early on in the pandemic. Those folks are back at work and trying to catch up. He said they have never done anything like the  volume of orders they are getting now- so many people are stuck at home and working on their boats! (Oh well, better than sitting around re-watching every episode of The Sopranos.)

ChasRN

Quote from: Andre on June 29, 2020, 08:03:23 PM
The couple of times I've purchased slugs and shackles, I got them from Sailrite the fabric and sewing machine guys.  Their free print catalog had good illustrations and dimensions which made finding a match easy.

This was for a PC but I would imagine they're the same - I'm pretty sure that even my HC uses the same ones.

Andre
I ordered from Sailrite as well: their website has a lot of good information and the prices are fair. I planned on, and actually ordered the 1/2" but didn't really have a choice as the 3/8" were out of stock. The Sailrite website apologizes in advance for shipping delays, stating that they are both busy and short-staffed. Hopefully the wait is not too long.
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

Whisper

Hi ChasRN , just thought I would give my 2 cents worth .
The reason sailmakers  use webbing to attach slides to sails is to keep them straight and aligned when sliding up the mast track .
If you use ordinary shackles they will allow the slides to assume an angle that allows them to jam in the track when raising the sail.
Not sure if they are still available but a triangular shaped plastic type of connector which was screwed to the sail through the cringle worked well with the thick part of the triangle keeping the slide aligned.
Cheers Whisper

bruce

If the slugs are properly fit, why would they jam? I agree keeping the slugs aligned with the track is advantageous, but I'm not convinced shackles, that allow some pivoting, create a problem.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Whisper

Hi Bruce most slugs are not a correct fit with the diameter of the sail track and the stainless steel shackle lets them bind from my experience .
Ronstan make a 12 mm plastic sail shackle that screws onto the sail ,being 12 mm ,it fits the slug slide better .
Cheers whisper

bruce

Agreed, the fit is key. It is interesting that Com-Pac suggested going down a size would be OK. The smaller diameter will likely be shorter as well, and jamming may well become an issue, especially with tracks that have damage like we frequently see around the hinge.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

Mine were showing significant wear a couple years back and I took one down to the local West Marine and picked up plastic slugs and shackles that were close in size to the old ones. No problems since, but I can't say whether they remain in stock at West (or their warehouse).
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel