a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Recovering a Sun Cat

Started by ChasRN, July 01, 2020, 10:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChasRN

Cat-22 has been living on her trailer at dry slip, so I've been launching and recovering her each time out. Launching has not been a problem, at least not since I got an extension for the trailer tongue to better deal with the shallow ramp at Lake Nockamixon. Recovery has been somewhat problematic however.

It's been easy enough to get the boat lined up properly on the trailer, though even with the tongue extension my exhaust pipes are perilously close to the water. The problem is keeping her positioned forward.

Each time now, I've gotten the bow up against the roller and winched things tight. Yet when I pull the boat and trailer out of the water, that's no longer the case and she is no longer in contact with the roller. The distance she's slipped aft is not great, only an inch or so, and I've simply left things that way for the short trip from the ramp to the dry slip. While that has gone without incident, I would not want to get on the highway with the boat in that position.

Any idea of what this greenhorn is doing wrong?
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

Unlimited65

I have a Sunday Cat also at Lake Nockamixon ... Mine does the same as you - about an inch once out of the water .. when I get on to level ground I roll the winch a bit to lock her in. I never saw this as an issue. It's the easiest boat to launch and recover.

Vipersdad

I have similar situation with my CP 19.  Mine occurs due to the angle of the boat changing on the trailer as the boat and trailer leave the ramp.  My bow eye actually moves from above the roller to below it.  Before leaving the launch area I tighten up with the winch.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Jim in TC

Not always, but often our Sun Cat will be that inch or so back, and we, too, have been able to cinch her up once out and on the flat. If you can't get that little bit of slide, your trailer may be too "sticky" somewhere - most likely the bunks. Might try a "dry slide" silicone spray, or one of the dedicated bunk lubes if that is the case.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

ChasRN

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know that this is a common experience.

I've been reluctant to really tighten up on the winch - the boat does not easily slide and I'm worried about the increased strain on the eye. Spraying the bunks with silicone is worth a try but shouldn't wet bunks be pretty slippery in their own right? Would it be worth adding a sheet of slippery plastic like UHMW polyethylene to the keel bunk?

Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

Andre

I don't have an SC but I do own a PC and a HC.  PC no problem, winches right up to the bow roller.  HC is like what you're experiencing, maybe even 2".  What I've taken to doing is right after pulling off the ramp and everything is still wet is snug up the winch strap so it's fairly tight but not enough to worry about breaking anything, and then make a couple of moderately hard stops from like 10 mph. Sometimes I re-tighten the winch strap in between stops. Not slamming on the brakes mind you - I don't want the boat to overrun the roller or break anything.  Most of the time this'll get the bow up against the roller or much closer anyway.  I only trailer 200 yds to the ramp anyway so it's not really a big concern though.

Andre

Finbar Beagle

I single hand my PC and added the trailer guide bunks to keep her aligned when I winch her in.  They were easy to install on trailer.
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

mikehennessy

I had the same issue and hypothesize it is due to the boat and trailer being at different angles (boat is level with water, trailer is level with ramp) when we first  snug the boat against the trailer with the winch.  When the boat and trailer are parallel out of the water, there is this a gap.

My solution is to pull ahead 1-2 feet after the boat is on trailer and re-tighten the winch.  It is easy since the boat is still "floating" in the water and friction from the bunk is low. 

The OEM trailer does have a fail amount of flex.

-Mike
2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"

bruce

My experience with other boats at the ramp is consistent with Vipersdad and Mike. When you first make contact with the bow roller, the stern is floating. Drive up the ramp and the stern settles on the trailer, lifting the bow. The winch webbing stretches, the hull on the bunks holds its position, a slight gap opens. Winch it tight again, the bunks are wet, no damage will be done. It's only 1,500 lbs.

You could probably eliminate the gap if you retrieved with less trailer in the water, and more winching effort up front.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

ChasRN

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. Will try some of the suggestions and let folks know how things work out.

On a completely unrelated subject, I've been pestering the forum with enough questions and comments to have jumped from Swabbie to Deck Hand to Rigger in a matter of days!
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

Tim Gardner

I can fix the rigger issue.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

ChasRN

Quote from: Tim Gardner on July 02, 2020, 12:37:10 PM
I can fix the rigger issue.
When I was in the Army (XVIII Airborne Corps), riggers were folks you wanted to stay on the good side of . . .
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"