Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bow Hardware setup question

Started by Ohfercutes, May 09, 2020, 01:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohfercutes

Good morning all,

We just recently bought a 1983 Com Pac 16' and are going through the rigging and replacing all the cotter pins and tensioning (snugging up) the stays because they had a lot of play in them.  I have tried finding answers to my questions on previous posts, but haven't seemed to find what I'm looking for. The boat will be staying on a trailer and launched when I go out, so rigging will be going up and down a lot. It seems to me that the best way to snug up the stays is to pull down on the headstay and attach to the bow. Here are pictures of what I have going on. I plan to replace the jib shackle, the pin is a steel threaded screw, and do new ss cotter pins.

It is a challenge to pull down tension with one hand and thread the D ring and screw through the chainplate to tighten. Are there any suggestions as to hardware I could change to make this easier? A keypin shackle or snap shackle on the headstay connecting to a D ring on the bow chainplate? And if you have pictures of your set up that would be most helpful too.

Secondly: is there supposed to be a gasket or cushion under the mast to protect it from wearing on the sail mast bracket? And are the cracks next to the bracket anything I need to address? They are not deep, look more superficial.

Thank you for suggestions and help.
~Erik & Katie

Vipersdad

I have a Johnson Forestay Lever on my 19.  Works great.  Not cheap though.

V.

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

slode

That is the same devise that is on the Eclipse to allow quick tension set and release. Although there is one on each shroud because the forestay length is taken up with the furler.  Works wonderfully and holds securely.  You will have to adjust your stay length to accommodate, but worth the cost and effort if you are trailer sailing!  Will save you hours of setup/takedown each season.

A spring loaded clevis pin allows quick connection of the forestay to the chainplate (stemhead).

https://www.amazon.com/Release-Lanyard-Spring-Loaded-Clevis/dp/B00DEX5YVA or similar (ensure size and length correct for your needs.)

The cracks don't appear to be more than gelcoat deep.  Might check the underside to assure good structure.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Jim in TC

Same kind of device came on our SunCat, pretty sure it came that way from the factory. On the parts list it is called a "shroud quick release lever" and priced at $97 (a couple years ago). Less pricey from Defender or similar, but in any case a very slick way to easily set up then tension the forestay.

I would be inclined to order any of this hardware, including pins and whatnot, from Defender or another marine supply shop, just because I don't completely trust Amazon to carry the highest quality hardware, and you really don't want any of these bits to fail...
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Jim in TC

At that price I am happy to see that they can suggest that the Wichard will "offer robust performance."
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

And, it qualifies for free shipping. Tempting! ::)
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Ohfercutes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will look into them, though the Wichard might be a bit beyond my budget as that would be half the cost of the boat! lol.

Slode: I don't see any cracks or structural breakdown underneath the mast on the inside, just the gel coat was my thought too, but thought I would post and ask.