a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchor at bow sprit

Started by gmerrill, April 08, 2020, 07:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I can?t remember if I?ve addressed this issue before but I use a danforth fluke anchor. I bought the size recommended for the size boat I have. This anchor is ideal for the areas I sail and holds very well. What I?m having trouble with is I can?t get the anchor to stay secure while underway more specifically the stem that attaches to the anchor line. I would like to have in a position so as I could go forward and with little effort release the anchor. Any suggestions
Greg

slode

I use a Delta anchor but method of securing should work for your fluke.  A short piece of line is permanently tied to the bow cleat and strung through the anchor and cleated to hold the end in place.  Then a heavy duty spring clamp holds the anchor against the loop on the roller.  Over a thousand miles on the highway and some very heavy seas this setup has never failed and holds the anchor securely in place.  It is also easy to undo when dropping the hook and re-set when casting off.  I just leave the clamp clamped around the loop when the anchor is down.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

gmerrill

Slode

The problem I?m going to have is my point of attachment goes past the bow cleat and chain locker opening. But this does give me a good idea of something similar that could work in my case. Thanks for the help
Greg