Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Just wanted to say hello...

Started by ph, March 20, 2020, 01:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say hello as I'm new to this forum-

I just picked up my new 2020 Eclipse the other day and brought her home to Ft. Lauderdale.  I've never had a trailer sailor before, but I'm certainly looking forward to sailing her as soon as I get some FL registration numbers put on!  I've got some questions which may sound stupid, but like I said, this is my first trailerable sailboat.....

Recommendations on how to stow the roller furling for transport?  I was planning on using tie down straps and securing it to the mast?

And I assume it's wise to remove the the actual sails before heading down the highway, or is securing them with straps ok?(i.e.- to prevent minor flapping and chaffing, although I guess it would depend on far/fast you're going).

The reason I ask is that when picking up the boat brand new- everything was completely shrink wrapped from the factory for transport, but I'm just wondering what people normally do.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for bearing with me....

LazyDog

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your new boat. I know nothing about Eclipses but I wouldn't go to any crowded office if that's what it takes to get a registration. I would just go out sailing and enjoy your boat. That is what I will be doing in a couple of weeks.

ph

slode

Congrats on the new boat!  I'm sure you will grow to love her just as much as us other Eclipse owners.  Lot's of good info here on past posts.

I stow the furled headsail/stay strapped to the mast with about 4-5 metal cam straps that I cut to length so there's just enough loose end to tuck under so they don't flap around.  People use other types of straps and ties, anything that's easy to install/remove is fine as long as it holds tight.  I pull the jib sheets out of the cleats and wrap them around the mast and jib as well to secure it.  Just make sure the fuller drum is secure so it doesn't bounce around as that can damage the luff extrusion and drum.  With everything tight not a single part of the jib flaps when towing.  And the furling line can stay rigged through the fairleads and tied around the cleat at the cockpit.

There's a lot of un-cleating, loosening, and re-setting of lines and stays to step and un-step the mast but pretty much everything can stay rigged.  That's part of what makes the Eclipse such an awesome trailer sailor.

You'll be fine motoring down the road with the sails on as long as your main has a cover over it.  Maybe if you plan on a few hundred mile plus trip it would be worth taking them off, but I've done many trips close to that with absolutely no damage done.

Hope you are able to get her splashed soon.  Enjoy!

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

ph

Ok, great info!  Thanks very much!  Like I said- this is a new deal (trailer sailor) for me- my last sailboat (a 36 foot ketch), well- it didn't fit on any trailer that I'm licensed to pull.......and the rig didn't come down as easily either!

I'm going to splash her this weekend- assuming they don't close the boat ramps for social distancing.....

Cheers, and thanks again.

alsantini

Let me add some comments.  When I brought my boat home (650 miles), I carried the furler in the cabin without a sail and immediately removed it when I got home.  The mainsail was on the boom and covered with the stock sail cover.  The sails were filthy, and I have since replaced them.  The boat was 7 years old with original sails.  I travel to Florida every winter and back to northern Illinois yearly.  For this almost 1400 mile journey one way, I strip the deck removing the sails, bimini. anchor, and shrouds. The outboard goes into the SUV. This leaves only the mast, boom and furler strapped on deck.  I remove the furler tang from the mast so that the furler and foil can sit further back on the mast.  I strap the furler to the mast with the drum up against the front of the mast hinge.  I use 7 Velcro straps to hold the foil to the mast with a super strong bungee at the front and one at the back.  I use one small bungee to make sure the pin holding the mast to the mast stub cannot come out.  I then tie all loose lines together.  This has worked well for me for long distance traveling and the 6 round trips to Florida and back.  It takes about 3 hours to get the boat ready for travel and about 4 hours to get ready to sail.
While in Florida I trailer sail so after setting the boat up to sail the only things I do are to tie the outboard down so it cannot bounce and pull the shrouds tight to the mast with 2 bungee to the front of the mast.
I have pictures of my set-up but need a lesson on how to make them small enough to post here.  Sail On...  Al