a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

an odd question

Started by mr toad, May 11, 2007, 08:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr toad

on older sailboats - maybe on gaff rigged only - a long pennant (not sure this is correct name) - the company that made my genoa made me one for fun - a pennant about 8 or 10 inches wide and about 12 feet long - tapers a bit to a swallow tail - i think i was (again not sure) flown from a pig-stick on the mast - now the question

how do i fly this on my compact 23

i have flown it before without the mainsail - just tied a retrieving ling to the mail halyard and run it up the mast - but

i wish i could fly this long pennant under sail -

would it be possible and practical - really would this work - use two lines for the topping lift - add a block at top of mast - and run the pennant up using the topping lift

thanks

rdeal

Craig Weis

I'm have a brain fade. Is the C-P 23 a Masthead sloop or a fractional rig?
If she is a Masthead then simply [he says with tounge in cheek] fit a tiny pulley on the fwd facing ring [I have a second block up there for my spinnaker] like my C-P 19 has and run a light halyard line with a cleat at the base of the mast. Then affix the 12 foot pendent to a staff [stick] and that unit to the halyard and haul away! Enjoy the wave. Skip

My other dockmate, a cat boat, does this with his yacht club pendent. Note that the 'stick' has to be firmly affixed to the halyard and be assured that the pennant will want to crab it's two outer ends [tac] together. So make doubly sure that she is tight between the grommets.

Send us a picture so we can marvel at this site. I use flags up the stern standing rigging to the masthead. I love the festivity.