a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Centerboard line connector

Started by captbob57, April 24, 2020, 11:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captbob57

Hello PC Nation. Just wondering exactly what connects the centerboard line to the centerboard? Thanks.

bruce

As you'd expect, the line is made up to a low-profile shackle. Just pressed, not cast, so it's not too bulky. Com-Pac used a bowline on my boat, a buntline hitch would also be common in this application. In the first photo you can also see the lanyard I added so there's a chance of pulling the CB up, out of the trunk, if she turtles.

The good news is, you can drop the board with the boat on the trailer, as least I can with my circa 2010 Magic Tilt. I just slide to the boat back 13-15" or so on the trailer, and the board clears the axle. There is still weight on the tongue, but I do block the transom before I crawl under, and tie the bow down if the balance seems iffy. I don't recall hearing if you can do the same with Performance trailers that Com-Pac used before Magic Tilt. I do know some Performance trailer owners would launch their PC onto their lawn, the tilting feature of the Performance trailer helping with that. I don't want to provide the neighbors that much entertainment!

Let me know if you want more details on dropping the board.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

captbob57

Thanks Bruce. Excellent pictures! Just curious, in front of your "turtle lanyard" looks like you installed a sacrificial zinc. I'm just going to take a wild guess that you installed that to keep the centerboard from touching the centerboard trunk? When my boat is on the trailer, I can shake it and I can hear the centerboard touching the trunk. Just wondering. Thanks again for the pictures.

bruce

Ah, the CB zincs. Com-Pac installed them and I was surprised to learn from others later that not all PCs have them. There's actually two sets, the second is on the lower aft corner of CB, above the pendant shackle. Here's a lucky photo shot up the trunk that shows the shackle and second zincs.

The zincs do keep the CB from moving as much side to side, but since not every PC has them, I don't think it's critical. When I first got the boat, a couple of times raising the CB preparing to haul the boat onto the trailer, I was sure I'd raised the CB completely. The pendant wouldn't come up any more. But, in fact, the CB still was out a couple of inches, as I could see when the boat was on the trailer. I learned to make sure I heard the loud thunk when the board was raised, if the pendant tightened before the thunk, I think the pendant was getting jammed between a zinc and the trunk. If I don't get the thunk, I just drop the CB back down a bit and try again. It hasn't happened in years, but the first few times it was a problem, I must have had too much slack in the pendant.

Com-Pac does install 1/4" spacers either side of the board at the pivot, barely visible in the second photo, to keep the board more centered in the trunk.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

captbob57

Once again nice pictures! Thanks Bruce.