a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cape Lookout

Started by Bramble, August 02, 2019, 06:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bramble

Caught up on work, so I took a few days off to sail & do a little marriage therapy.  After careful planning & packing (a 16 does have some limitations) Ann & I put in at Beaufort, planning for Cape Lookout but open to whatever may happen.  We arrived mid-morning on Wednesday.  We sailed with the current down Taylor's Creek past Beaufort proper, then tacked out into the Turning Basin.  There wasn't too much chop in the inlet & the wind was right for an offshore run to the cape, but there were storm clouds in the distance so we opted to sail down Shackleford Banks & see where we might drop the hook.  We found a nice beach to pull up to & swim.  Late afternoon the day-trippers departed, leaving us with a mile of empty beach & complete privacy.  As the sun set, we drifted out from the island, beyond the mosquitos & where the falling tide wouldn't leave us high & dry.  We bedded down in the cockpit, & fell asleep counting shooting stars. 
   Thursday morning was nice, but the winds were very light.  The ocean route would likely mean motoring eight miles.  Instead, we decided to go with the flow...literally.  The incoming tide had us moving at about 2 kts & the light wind added just enough speed to give us steerage.  It was a sedate pace over smooth seas, allowing us leisurely brunch, while watching the wild ponies.
   We rounded Middle Marsh & sailed up Back Bay the length of Harker's Island.  As we approached to turn to Barden's Inlet we were suddenly surrounded by dolphins.  By the time the dolphins departed & we turned toward Barden's Inlet the tide had changed & we rode the outgoing current to Cape Lookout.  The current & a freshening breeze had the GPS registering a steady 5+ kts, occasionally hitting 6.  We pulled up in the shallows toward the end of the bight & spent the afternoon swimming, napping, walking the beach, & reading.  As with Shackleford, the day trippers departed leaving us sharing the mile wide bight with 3 other boats. 
   The dolphins returned just before supper.  We drifted out from shore & anchored for the night, only this time under the bimini because of increasing cloud cover.  Other than some distant lightning, the only disturbance was the wind dying & no-see-ums crashing the party.
   The next morning there was breakfast & a quick swim, then we rode the incoming tide through the channel to Back Bay.  The wind dropped, so we motor sailed to Taylor's Creek for the load out. 
   Good weather, good sailing, dolphins, wild ponies, a lot of "us" time...not a bad outing.

Razor

Sounds like a great outing. Seems like we see dolphins almost every time out. I have not been to Lookout the inside route on my sailboat. Would love to do that sometime from Morehead/Beaufort. I also have not sailed down Shackleford Banks, but have seen lots of boats heading that way. Would love to do that also.

I enjoy going to Cape Lookout but do not get there very often. Was last there this past Father's Day weekend.

Terry
"Cool Change" - 1994 Com-pac 23

fried fish

Nice poetic job!
Sounds like something my wife and I might enjoy.
We trailered our Compac 23 to the keys and sailed there one spring for a couple weeks.
Had a blast.
As we live down in Southport NC , we could fairly easily sail to Beaufort.
Thanks for the idea.
Fred

Bramble

It was a very good trip. With Com-Pacs, the inside route is no problem, nor is sailing down Shackleford (although you can't go much past Middle Marsh before the water gets too skinny for even a Com-Pac). I did it several times with my C-23, though I prefer the outside route.
mike

Bramble

Fried Fish,
It would be a bit of a haul, but definitely worth it.  When you go, throw out a couple of trolling lines.  Though I came up empty this trip I usually catch blues and/or spanish...enough to fry for supper.
mike

geeman

I very much enjoyed your narrative of what sounds like a great trip!
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

Bramble

Sailor

Sounds really great! I have a friend who lives in Beaufort. I've heard of some of those places. I've made threats of trailering my boat down there and making him go on a sail. Now I know there are some other 16s we could really plan some fun!
    Really sounds like a perfect trip. Thanks for sharing.
s

Bramble

You know, a ComPac rendezvous would be entirely possible

Sailor

I'm for the idea. (Just let me get my boat sealed up!) Keep me in the loop for anything in that area.
s

geeman

Sounds like a great idea.  Working toward a fall launch. 
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558