a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Garage Door Height

Started by Brent65, February 25, 2020, 11:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

Might any of you know what size garage door height is needed to accommodate an Eclipse?  Assuming we leave the mast on the boom gallows and front bow rail. 

slode

Check out the owners manual supplement I posted a while back 

https://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=11171.0

It contains a bunch of specs from my Eclipse including peak height off the ground on the trailer (8' 9") 

You won't fit it in a standard 8' door.  I am very lucky to have a 3 wide garage with a double stall 45' long section with 12' doors both ends I can drive through. Probably not many garages out there she'll fit in unless you have a pole shed.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Brent65

Thanks Slode, 8'9" on the trailer.  Real question now is:  Is this with 10" tires or 13" tires?  I have planned for a 9' door, and definitely want the 13" tires...but not sure it'll go. 

nies

I have similar problem with my compac 16............let trailer tongue down to floor onto a thin board and slid into garage and rise up again once past door......reverse coming out......nies

slode

It's with the 10" tires.   Nies' comment won't help you with the Eclipse as the tallest part is the mast and it sits deal level  on the gallows and hangs out past the tail end a couple feet.  Dropping the tongue will raise that by almost as much as the front end going down.

Any grade going into the garage will add to the issue.  If your driveway slopes down away from the garage, like many do, you'll have an issue as the back end will be higher up.  Might need to do some trig....

You can always let a bunch of air out of the tires for backing in and pulling out.

Any way you look at it a 9' door may be tight.  You'll definitely want to double check the actual boat your looking at closely as trailers may vary by an inch or two.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41