Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Winterizing for barn storage

Started by Renae, October 27, 2019, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renae

Hello,

This will be my first winter storage for my 2004 Suncat.  I will be storing in my unheated barn, which, despite the thermal amenities, provides some haven for mice.  Temperatures reach -25 degrees F (-32C) at some point every winter.  I managed to sail up through last week, so I am just starting the process of winterization as nighttime temps are beginning to dip below freezing.

The story so far:

Motor:  Lower section inspected (no water in oil) and oil changed.  Tanks Stabil-ized and run into the motor.  Carb drained and carb/cylinder fogged.  Motor demounted and attached to barn wall.

Bilge:  Inspected and dry

Battery: On a trickle charge

Trailer: Bearings packed, but not really inspected.  I think I may need a new axle (uneven inside tire wear on right side), and I'm not eager to take on this task by myself, particularly on a loaded trailer.

Unfortunately that's about it.  Now I'm trying to figure out what I should do regarding mice.  Do I remove everything chewable (other than wiring), just generously load the cabin and intersperse the sail with dryer sheets, or something else?  I got to know the Blue Eyed Floozy pretty well this summer, but I'm a bit nervous about completely de-rigging out of concern for some sort of an error in the spring. 

What do you do before you put your sailboat to bed for the winter, particularly those cold-storing?

slode

Since using my 5 gallon bucket mouse traps in both of my outdoor sheds I have had no issues with mice doing any damage or making a mess of anything.  I'd still at least take any cushions out of the boat.

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

philb Junkie19

Since hearing how badly a nearby 19 was soiled by droppings and nests over a winter I have been extra careful to remove anything that can be damaged or chewed to make nests. You might want to hang you sail in their bags, the next most expensive items to replace after your boat, from a barn ceiling joist or beam away from a wall. I store my junk sail in a bundle suspended by two ropes in our barn with yard, full length battens/  boom still attached.  I also have added a piece of aluminum flashing around the suspending rope as extra mouse proofing. The little buggers can do some damage. Some years back I had a heavy duty whitewater inflatable kayak that was destroyed by mice after storing it in a shed's rafters. I also have successfully used a five gallon pail with a rotating board but rather the cheap Victor easy set traps.

Jim in TC

+1 on doing something with the sail. We picked our 2006 up from cold barn storage with one small chew hole in the sail and another in the bimini cover, both easily repaired. I felt like we got off easy. I store the boat under a tarp in the back yard and remove the sail to store indoors. Which is better for the fabric, too. Same with the bimini.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Renae

I de-rigged the boat Sunday.  Got sleeted on.  I took lots of pictures to assist with re-rigging in the spring.  The cabin, cubbies and anchor rode are packed with fabric softener.  I let out the entire rode (210 ft) to check for current damage and there was none.  Honestly, if the little beasties eat anything, I'm betting it will be the structural foam, and of course there isn't much to be done about that.  The sail, cushions and bimini are currently in my house garage do to a family emergency that kept me from finishing the job, but I'll re-inspect them and get them indoors soon.  I'll also be adding de-con to the boat this week.

slode

After posting the last message I figured I'd check my trap.  It's gotten below freezing here the last week and that's when the little stinkers start to find places to nest for the winter.  Sure enough there were 4 in there.  Great thing about using this trap with antifreeze is it embalms the mice so they don't rot and stink.  It's kind of set it and forget it.  Last year I had 13 in there when I took the boat out in the spring.  I just take an ice fishing scooper and scoop them out.

Unlike using single set traps or poison you don't have to constantly check it, and don't have dead mice stinking up wherever they get to before passing out.  Replacing the antifreeze and putting some peanut butter on the can about once a year is all it takes

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41