a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Motor mount

Started by Ken J, November 24, 2019, 09:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken J

Wondering if anyone has replaced the wooden piece of your motor mount - if so what did you use ? Cannot find anything searching this forum :-)

Tim Gardner

Ken,  Tap on the "search" button above and search for "motor mount fix".  You'll find several threads concerning what others have done.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Ken J

Did that - I see lots of discussion on motor mounts - but nothing on replacing the wood mount

Jasmid53

I had a small piece of fir left over from some other project. Just traced around the other one and cut it out. I know it won't last forever but the price was right and it didn't take all that long to make. This was on my 16 but would work on 19 as well.

Ken J

I was thinking about something like that - also thought about gluing two pieces of oak together

Roland of Macatawa

Ken,
On my SundayCat's motor mount, I used LVL (Laminate Veneer Lumber) engineered structural lumber typically used for beams.
Got a piece from a lumberyard 1+3/4" thick x  9+1/2" deep x ~15" long.
They sold it cheap as it was scrap to them.
Used a grain penetrating oil-based paint to finish it.
In a few years, I'll know about its longevity (or not).
Regards, Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Ken J

Had not thought of that - thanks !

bruce

If you don't want to spring for a plastic replacement pad, about $70, typically 2" thick, I'd definitely go with an engineered wood product, like plywood or glulam that Roland used. Solid wood would be more apt to split along the grain, or have a structural defect that the engineered product would avoid. A couple layers of 3/4" would be great.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Ken J

I've looked around for the plastic pad type - any idea where to find - thanks !

bruce

When I search for outboard motor mounting pads a few hits for Garelick pads come up, including Amazon and Fisheries Supply, for about $73. They probably vary some by model and manufacturer, in hole spacing anyway, so if you can figure out what you've got, and check with the manufacturer, that should get you what you need. For a price!

But, I do see that Wholesale Marine has an aftermarket Garelick pad for cheap.That might be worth checking into.
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/garelick-replacement-mounting-pad-wide.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-L2tchc0S3CT7T9d9MKZHZYewBA7DMb2XQfG5g1Y__V2h9ny3_hvB4aAs8mEALw_wcB
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Salty19

I laminated one with several (8 or 9) layers of 4mm marine ply and West Systems epoxy, then sheathed it in carbon fiber sheet (3/16" ish).  Then final paint with two part marine paint.  The CF sheeting keeps the inevitable metal outboard motor parts from digging into the wood, so I expect the mount will outlast the boat. 

The construction grade laminated stuff would work great, just protect it from the elements and the mounting areas of the outboard.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Wayne J

CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Ken J

I decided to laminate 2. 3/4 oak boards together - I think it will work :-)