a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat Tabernacle

Started by matunucktuna, December 10, 2019, 04:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matunucktuna

Does anyone know how to remove the tabernacle on a Sun Cat. I'm attempting to gain enough clearance to get it into a garage for the winter. I removed the cross bolt and centering pad at the base, accessible in the forward locker. Then I pulled straight up, but it will not release. I just don't wand to cause any damage if I have missed something.
...Thanks
Charlie

bruce

Sounds like you're trying to remove the mast stub by "removing the centering pad at the base." I wouldn't do that.

Com-Pac does have a Garage Package, that sleeves the mast stub and boom gallows, for seasonal storing of the Sun Cat in a garage. Currently $450. They've worked out the details, but it probably could be done for less.
https://forum.trailersailor.com//post.php?id=971687
https://www.gisails.com/boats/compac/suncat/

The mast stub usually is the highest point. By dropping the trailer tongue onto a dolly, lower than the tongue jack, it may be possible to gain the clearance necessary. The gallows can be shortened by dismantling.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

matunucktuna

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the incorrect terminology.
You were correct in that I was attempting to remove the "mast stub". It appeared to me that the mast stub was removable by removing the cross bolt and the deck ring and pulling it upward. However it didn't move,  and not having an assembly diagram, I was hesitant to apply any more upward lifting force until I knew for sure with what I was dealing. I assume the "garage kit" requires shortening the existing mast stub and adding another stub and sleeve combination? Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that lowering the trailer tongue will yield enough clearance to clear the garage door.
Charlie

bruce

Hey Charlie,

That's too bad that you can't get the trailer low enough, I'd rather mess with my trailer than the boat. Here's a couple more threads from the TSBB with a few more ideas.
https://forum.trailersailor.com/post.php?id=1218961
https://forum.trailersailor.com/post.php?id=1438928

Here's a photo of the mast stub with the garage package. The section of the stub from the deck to the hinge is unbolted above the mast partner, you can see at this point the cabin is the limiting factor, height wise. The boom gallows is sleeved as well. If you wanted to retrofit Com-Pac's kit, I'd contact them. That's quite a weld bead! Conversely, you could cut the stub and install your own inner sleeve, and bolt it to the lower stub section as you have access.
https://www.gisails.com/boatpictures/suncat/283
https://www.gisails.com/boatpictures/suncat/284

Com-Pac buys their spars from Dwyer. If you want to DIY, Com-Pac might tell you what they use for a sleeve. Dwyer might have something suitable as well.
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=11288.0

The ring on the deck is called the mast partner. On boats where the mast is designed to be stepped routinely, you might find wedges there, to tighten the mast where it passes through the deck. On the Com-Pac catboats, the mast partner is sealed to the mast and screwed and sealed to the deck. The bottom of the mast stub fits into a mast step, which is securely mounted to the keel. I've attached a photo of mine, amongst the anchor rode on my PC. That has a through bolt. If you have freed the mast at the partner, and the unbolted the mast step already, you should be free, AFAIK.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

carry-on

Are the dimensions close? If so reducing tire pressure to 15 or 20 psi may give you a couple inches.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

rogerschwake

I could get my old Sun Cat through a 7 foot tall door by removing the mast and wood cross member of the boom gallows. Then raise the tong up to duck the uprights of the boom gallows under the door header. Push the boat back till you come to the mast stub, then let the trailer tongue slide on the driveway as you push it in. The mast stub just passes under the door, did this for at least 5 springs and falls.

ROGER

matunucktuna

Hi Bruce and Roger, thanks for your responses!
I am attempting to get it through a door that is only 6' 3". Even with the trailer tongue on the ground I don't think it will make it. I had intended to remove the mast stub and then cut the legs on the gallows and sleeve them to reattach in the Spring. At this point I am trying to verify that I can remove the mast stub by pulling straight upward. I initially applied about 60 lbs of pull but it didn't budge. It was at that point when I started this post. If the cross bolt and bedding under the mast partner is the only thing securing the mast stub down, maybe there are some burrs in the cross bolt holes? Do they use any adhesive?
Charlie

bruce

6' 3" is very low! Close to 7' is more common. Will the cabin clear?

I don't know what they use on the mast partner, but I'd guess a polyurethane, 3M or Sikaflex, so an adhesive as well as a sealant. My guess would be they don't use a sealant between the mast step and the stub. I don't see any on mine. The mast step may be bedded, as well as screwed down. Can you get a small, knife-edged pry bar in there and try to lever the stub off the step. Maybe some light taps. Should get some movement. The cast end caps in general, like the step, can be a snug fit.

Com-Pac is very good at answering questions. Tell them your situation and they'll try to help.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Tim Gardner

I think I would talk to Kieth at The Sailboat Co. (www.sailboatrichlands.com).  He has posted a mast repair article that resembles the picture Bruce posted.  If anyone can get you in that door, He can.

On the other hand, the cost to modify your door, and adding a door panel may be far less than the aggravation of multiple in and outs of your existing door.  Hope the ceiling is greater than 6'3"

RGDS, TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

matunucktuna

Thanks again for all of the helpful suggestions!
I sent an email to Hutchins for information on removing the mast stub (or not). I'll add a follow up  to this post after I hear back from them.
Happy holidays everyone!
Charlie

matunucktuna

I heard back quickly from Matt at Hutchins. The mast stub can be lifted off by removing the cross bolt at the mast step and unfastening the mast ring on the deck. However there is a great deal of caulking sealing the mast stub to the deck, so it can take a considerable amount of force to pull the mast stub up.
However I was successful in locating a storage unit with an entry door height of 7' 2". The extra height,  combined with the suggestions of lifting the trailer tongue to clear the gallows, and dropping the tongue to clear the mast stub was just enough (1/4" to spare) to get her inside.
I may install one of the "garage packages" late next summer, so I can more easily store it in a garage.
Again, thanks for the helpful suggestions!
Charlie