a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Water leak repaired

Started by alsantini, February 08, 2020, 01:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I have chased my water leak around for 1/2 a year and kept going back to the rear port side window.  A while back I put an empty pretzel container on the shelf prior to throwing it away.  After a mild rain, it had 2 inches of water in it.  I changed my tack....  Apparently water was running between the cabin roof and the liner and running out along the edge close to the window.  Obviously all the topside fitting "could" drain water into the space above the liner.  I re-bedded some of the easy fittings to no avail.  Finally I took apart the mast cap on deck and the cap in the cabin.  I found water!!!  Cleaned it - it had a half a pound of goop from the PO.  I put a single bead around the base of the mast and screwed the cap down.  Two nights ago we had 2 inches of rain and 40 mph winds.  Today when I opened up Off The Wind, she was bone dry.  Fantastic.  I am a happy camper, sailor!!  My guess is this is a common spot for leaks since the mast stub moves a bit under load.  All is well - now I need to go sailing, tomorrow.  Ready or not, here I come Gulf of Mexico....  Sail on,   Al

slode

Glad to hear you found the leak!  That does have to be a very common spot.  Mine leaked profusely the first night out in a pretty good rain storm.  But it dripped straight down the stub into the v-birth storage.  Both v-birth cushions got soaked in the area by the mast.  I think your issue makes light of a very important point.  Only seal the top side around the cabin top.  So if it does start to leak it runs straight down like mine did!  And use some good flexible sealant.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

Absolutely true....  The PO had gooped a large amount of sealant around the mast inside the cabin. so the water could not run down the mast and instead found its way in-between the roof and the liner.  I forgot to mention that I cleaned this too and did not put any sealant inside the cabin.  Thanks for finishing the story.  Al

waterwheels

Thanks fo sharing Al,

The mast stub can take some real good twisting if you are not on level ground while raising or lowering the mast. I have had to re-seal that area almost every year.

I am still battling locating a leak that is ending up in the port side compartments under sink and settee. Seems to arrive only while on a hard port tack but doesn't seem to leave a trace of where it is coming from.

Open to any ideas, but I'm on the hard till spring.

Determine Don

brackish

Quote from: waterwheels on February 09, 2020, 06:17:01 PM
Thanks fo sharing Al,

The mast stub can take some real good twisting if you are not on level ground while raising or lowering the mast. I have had to re-seal that area almost every year.

I am still battling locating a leak that is ending up in the port side compartments under sink and settee. Seems to arrive only while on a hard port tack but doesn't seem to leave a trace of where it is coming from.

Open to any ideas, but I'm on the hard till spring.

Determine Don

does it happen to be adjacent to an outboard chainplate?  My 23 has a minor leak at the starboard chainplate set which I'm told is common, haven't bothered to fix it yet as it is so small it never makes it to the bilge just drips a little on the inside of the hull out of sight behind the settee cabinet.  I have a second at one of the grabrail screws, again so minor doesn't warrant fixing right now.  Fortunately, Compacs are not cored with wood so you don't have to panic on a leak to fix it before it rots your core.  Believe me as one who has repaired many square feet of core rotted deck on other boats, that is a very big positive.

waterwheels

Thanks Al,

Will focus on chain plate area in the spring for sure. We tried even lining the settee with paper towel to find the leak. We can be out for an hour and have no signs. Then get back to the dock to tie up and give one more quick look before leaving and find a few cups in both the sattee and below the sink.
Nothing has made it to the bilge but going to check the line from the bilge pump too in case it is coming in from the stern somewhere.

It has been a real puzzler for sure.

I'll be sure to share with others when I find the cause.

Don

alsantini

Don.  I had a leak that put water under the sink when I sailed hard.  Turned out the sink drain line going to the thru hull had a crack.  When I had the boat heeled to port, water would come in the thru hull and drain into the cabinet below the sink.  Not sure this is the issue but good to check.  It is a real pain working under the sink, but oh well....  Sail on.  Al

waterwheels

Thanks Al,

That was the first area I eliminated. Turns out the alcohol in mouth wash and silicone in the sink drain did't mix too well. Long story short the first mate lovers her new stainless steel sink......

I also eliminated the water supply to the sink as I found a drip or two from the faucet pump. Took the entire water system out (which you know is not as hard as it sounds) and still not the issue.

I am leaning toward the hull to deck joint but never see any of the carpet wet....

Will go back at it come spring. Going to start with an empty boat (cushions, cooler etc.) and sail hard until if find the culprit.

Don