a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailrite sail kit

Started by Jasmid53, July 05, 2019, 04:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasmid53

Has anyone made a sail using a Sailrite kit. My genoa is rotted and has no life left in it. I did get a quote for their kit at $495.00. I have a sewing machine that can handle a lot of the sewing demands but not all. So I'm thinking of buying one of Sailrite's machines and doing it myself. I got a quote for the genoa from Johnson Sails; which is what is on there now, at $975. I have called Doyle and Mack but they are out sailing or something. I think their price might be closer to $1500. If I have one made I could be waiting most of the summer for them.

So if anybody has made their own sails from Sailrite, how did they come out?

AirborneJarhead

I've made both headsails and mainsails from Sailrite kits and all have turned out exceptionally well. You will definitely need a heavy duty machine capable of a zig-zag stitch. I used the Sailrite LSZ-1 and it did fine. The kits come with detailed instructions and everything you need to complete the sail.
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

crazycarl

What boat are you needing a genoa for?

I have both a jib and genoa for a 19 that have seen very little use.

PM me if you're interested and i can send pics and measurements.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MacGyver

I can attest to the sailrite kits, except for the 19 I had a issue my main is too tall.

I do plan to cut it down and then use it, and luckily for me I can do it here on my own machine. Also I felt a lot of pride in the projects, and it made me think a lot as you will have a large stiff sheet to work with as you go along. Fun stuff indeed!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Jasmid53

I bought a Sailrite kit and I finished sewing it about mid August. On the  first sail, I just used the foresail and I was very impressed with how the boat sailed. Almost neutral helm. The one thing I don't like is how my pulpit rails pinch the sail. And today while cleaning my 16, I noticed that on the 16 the rails flair open whereas on the 19 they come straight up. I'll post some photos the next time I'm out on the 19.

I would recommend a Sailrite kit. The biggest problem I had was not having a large space to work on. I had set up a long table outside. However every time I started to sew, the wind gods blessed me with winds. Somehow they're blind to my needs when on the water. I learned a lot and if I ever sew one again it will be a lot easier for me. Talking to someone who has made one of Sailrite's kits would also have been of benefit.