a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New CP19

Started by philb Junkie19, August 14, 2014, 10:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philb Junkie19

I succumbed to 3 footitis. Bought a '84 19 and sold the '86 16.  The 16 is a great boat and gave me many enjoyable hours on the water but I've gotta say I love the 19, I guess for all the reasons others have described including the way it sails and the room to move about. Also the better half is enjoying sailing more, no small thing. Something I really like are the cam cleats for the jib sheets that a previous owner mounted on wood blocks bolted to the seat backs by the winches, great when single handing.  I was discouraged at first by the crisp and new looking Halsey main sail. The sail is cut a an angle greater than 90 degrees and the aft end the boom hangs down. What make this worse is the luff is too long or the roach is too big as the back stay interferes big time when the sail is fully raised.  Until I can get it re-cut, sailing with a reef in allows the the sail to be hoisted high enough and it goes quite well with the 150 (165?) hank on jib. It was a little stormy yesterday and the reefed main and standard jib was just right for conditions and for heaving to and getting out the foul weather gear.
Phil

Fourwinds

I know this is an old post but does anyone have pics of cam cleats mounted. I purchased some this weekend and was thinking about this position. Does it lead to any sheet fouling on the winch?
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

Jasmid53

I did this to my 19. I removed the winch and cleat and used their holes to mount a piece of oak. The cam cleat is mounted directly to the oak board. I made some angled pedestals so the lines would hold better. On the port side I made a horn to guide the line inward. Without this the cam cleat needs to be angled out, which I did not like. I only did just a little bit of sailing this season and my setup seemed to work fine. I liked the way this boat is rigged. See Youtube Compac 19 Buzzards Bay or this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYiS21d44U. Some day I hope to be in winds like that. Happy sailing and hope this helped.

philb Junkie19

That was a surprise to see, a reminder of the excitement and joy of a new boat. There's been lots of changes and adventures since. I have been so fortunate.  Gone from some beautiful lake sailing to beautiful salt water sailing from a harbor in walking distance and from compac's dependable rig to the very safe and handy junk rig.

For the photo I stuck the original blocks that held the cam cleats in the original location . Just picture the cam cleats mounted on the blocks. The second pic shows the cam cleats repurposed for the present rig's control lines. As noted five years ago I was happy with the set up. If you want the blocks you can have them.