a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Chainplate Covers

Started by Bristol14, October 28, 2019, 08:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristol14

I've started to develop a project list for the fall and spring and it includes replacing my Chainplates. Mine are slightly bent and have a couple of leaks. I considered replacing them last spring and even bought new ones from Hutchins, but didn't get around to replacing them. In reading about the best way to go about replacing them (and sealing with butyl tape), I've also noticed that some boats utilize stainless steel Chainplate covers to provide additional leak prevention. Has anyone used them on their boat?
Paul

brackish

Have to admit, I've never seen a chainplate cover on an external chainplate.  They are the norm on an internal chainplates because the area where they penetrate is packed with sealant and the cover helps to keep the sealant in place when the stays and shrouds work.  Still a potential leak though.

wes

Bristol - not sure what you mean by bent. They will always bend inboard above the deck joint because of the angle of pull from the shrouds and stays.

There are two drawbacks of butyl in this particular application. The first is that it's difficult to correctly bed the uppermost bolt because you have very little room to get behind it to properly form a cone of butyl. I speak from personal experience.

The second is that using butyl you can't fully seal the slot in the hull-to-deck joint where the chainplate passes through, which is a notoriously leaky spot. This slot is much more prone to leaks than the chain plate bolts, which because they are mounted on a vertical surface tend to drain quickly.

I suppose you could use butyl for the bolts and then 4200 or 5200 for the slot.

Praise be to Hutchins for the external chain plate design, which is so much less problematic than through-deck chain plates (more traditional looking, too).

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina