a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How (Probably Not) to Build an Emergency Anchor Light

Started by texwards, October 21, 2019, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texwards

In preparation to move my new(to me) boat, I found that the anchor light was not working. Although I did not plan to be out at night during this first trip, my voyages do not usually go as planned. Should I get stuck after dark, I would be a hazard, invisible to other boaters - and liable if they ran into me. Additionally, the Coast Guard requires that I have an anchor light visible for 360 degrees so I needed to resolve this.

I considered climbing the mast, but the halyards were not yet in great shape (if they were, my problem with heights would have been the next obstacle). Next I thought about just hauling a lantern up the flag halyard. On the internet it appears this is a common, simple solution.  I wasn't certain that this solution was sufficient - as the mast could block the light from one direction. An obstructed light could be as dangerous as no light and (at least in my mind) does not technically meet the coast guard requirement of a light visible for 360 degrees.

After a little time wasting overthought I decided to build something that I could haul up the halyard, and plug into my current electrical system. I dug through my boat parts stashed in the barn and found some items that would serve my project.

* At this point please note that the following is my own difficult solution to what should be a very simple problem. I am (obviously) not an engineer (electrical or otherwise), so this procedure is not suggested, legally validated, or guaranteed in any way - just shared for your enjoyment and ridicule.

The items I found:
1. 50' marine phone cord
This is actually 16 awg and not optimal for 12volt lighting, but it is what I had. Any 2 wire cord, 14 awg or less, the length of the mast to the accessory plug would be better.)

2. Runabout stern/anchor light
It looks like these currently run about $20 at Wal Mart
3. An opening block. I'm not certain what the technical name for this piece of hardware is, but it is a block that opens below the sheave so that it could be put onto a fixed line instead of feeding the line through the block. I found these at the boater's resale shop, and thought they were cool - but never really found a use for them. The ability to open the block allows it to attach to the topping lift or aft stay.

4. 12' accessory plug - of the type that you plug into a cigarette lighter

I rounded up my items and brought them to the boat after work one evening. My plan was simple, and I felt confident this was a project that I could easily complete in under an hour - but it took me somewhat longer.

Step 1 was to remove the male end of the phone cord and attach it to the anchor light. This way I could use the locking plug to connect the light when needed, but store them separately when not. This solution would also keep the cord ends available should 'land lines' regain popularity one day:) To the other end of the phone cord I attached the accessory plug.

I then connected everything and verified functionality.

I put the female end of the phone cord through the halyard shackle, then connected the block to the topping lift (or aft stay - I tried on both). I then attached the main halyard shackle to the the block snap shackle. Here I hauled the lines a few times to verify that the halyard would pull the block up without snagging, and that the cord would pull it back down smoothly.

Everything went smoothly ...until the detrimental step: Attaching the lamp to my rig.

This did not go as planned and became an exhausting evening of trial and error. I clamped the lamp to the block with 2 long stainless bolts -but as I raised it started to snag, so I lowered and removed the light to re-position it. I then attached again. Hauled - shook my head. Lowered. Loosened and adjusted. Hauled again... This process repeated for about an hour, but no matter how I tried, I could not get the light raise vertically. Furthermore, it seemed the weight of the lamp would bind the block while raising and lowering. As the sun started to set, my frustration was on the rise - and I angrily tore of the lamp (almost flinging it into the water), removed the halyard shackle from the block, and clamped the lamp on to the knot that attached the halyard shackle. I was only interested in seeing how far this angle was of - so for expedience I then locked the snap shackle not onto the halyard, but onto the stem of the lamp itself.

To my great surprise - this worked perfectly 'as is'. The light stood nearly vertically above the mast! Certain this was a fluke occurrence, I hauled it back down and tried it again. Then again. Several times over - and it worked each time! I dared removed the assembly completely and re-attached - another success!

I snapped a picture to print and store with the rig (as I will forget what worked when I need it), and called my first official mod completed.