a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Instrumentation and..........

Started by Fastdoc98, October 11, 2019, 04:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastdoc98

So my 2009 came with a Lowrance Elite 5 GPS but there's no depth gauge/fish finder transducer (although there is an input port for it), so I can find where I am and it will give me my speed, but I want/need depth.  My preference is leaning towards getting a Raymarine i40 for depth/knot instead of buying a transducer for the Lowrance as the Lowrance units appear to only be transom mounted and are really more fish-finders than depth gauges.  I was looking at the Raymarine D800 transducer for speed and depth which would be a 2" hold in my hull that I would have to drill.  Yikes!  Makes me nervous for sure.  If so, what is the best location to bore a hole through a perfectly intact non-leaking hull?  I suppose another option would be to use the Lowrance for speed and then get a shoot-through transducer by Raymarine for depth only which would avoid drilling, but then I'm still buying another instrument and having to mount it in the cockpit.  The Lowrance is a 2009, so with it being a decade old is it better to just buy a combo instrument that is new rather than adding a new instrument and relying on something a little older? 
On a completely different topic (I know, just bear with me), I was looking at the 'other' newer main sail that came with the boat.  It's a Rolly Tasker high-roach full batten main with one reef point and it's loose-footed.  Explains why I have a big metal slug on the boom, but how do I affix the sail clew to the slug?  The sail has a grommet there but there's no slug attached, and the slug has a metal 'slot' I guess you would call it on it's topside, but it's not big enough for a shackle, so would you use some kind of a tie?  Do you use small diameter line to affix like on the tack and head of the headsail?  Inquiring minds want to know.........

Bramble

Check on-line. Lowrance has several in hull (as opposed to through hull) transducers.  I've used the type that epoxy to the hull & mount the transducer in mineral oil.  I had a similar mount on my C-23.  It was easy to install & it worked great.

brackish

If it is any consolation, my 23 came with thru hulls for both the depth transducer and the speed log impeller mechanism already installed.  It has been fifteen years and the boat has not sunk yet, although I've been tempted every time I haul out to remove the speed log paddle wheel and glass it over.  It is not very accurate and the GPS gives speed.  The original Raymarine i40 bidata display (actually a predessor, the i40 is a direct replacement) after constantly being exposed finally gave up the ghost.  Although it had a cover that was on it whenever not in use The bezel cracked and moisture got in and did it in.  So I just ordered another .  I guess fifteen years is OK for any electronic device that is outside.

Fastdoc98

Bramble - I looked some of those up; I would need to figure out which is compatible with my unit
brackish - You really can't complain about 15 years for electronics.  I do like the idea of a shoot-through as opposed to a 2" hole in my hull