a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer for Com Pac 27-2

Started by Easy Living, September 07, 2019, 11:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easy Living

I would like to rent a trailer for a Com PAC 27-2 to haul my boat from Annapolis, MD to St Petersburg, FL.  I am willing to pay a reasonable charge to rent the trailer or to have someone else tow my boat.  I am flexible on dates.  You can contact me through this forum or my email at hpsloubnap@msn.com.

wes

When I bought my 27 in St. Louis, MO back in March 2013, I had it transported to North Carolina by a boat hauler named Stephen Ratliff. He's a one man operation with a truck and a custom trailer designed to adjust to various boats. He specializes in sailboats and moves them all around the country. This was six years ago so I'm not certain he's still in business, but it might be worth calling him. The advantage is that he's a pro, has insurance, and does this full-time.

Stephen Ratliff
(256) 655-8191
Stephen-sonia@knology.net

The boatyards on both ends of the trip used their travel lifts to set the boat onto his trailer and then back off again, so there was some boatyard expense involved as well.

Hope this is helpful -

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

AnchorJockey

I had Matt Jabin move my Compac 27 from New Jersey to Annapolis.  He's one of the Jabin family but not associated with Jabins Yacht Yard, but they recommend him for moves.  I had a good experience with him.  If you call Jabin's Yacht Yard, they can give you his contact info.

relamb

Do you happen to have a cradle for the boat?  I hauled mine for several years in it's cradle on my flatbed trailer.
What is your timing?  I am taking my own CP27 to St Pete end of Oct, 1st of November.  After which my cradle and trailer will be empty.

Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Easy Living

No I don't have a cradle.  Would you be willing to rent your trailer and cradle.  I'm sure you have all the tie downs, straps etc.  my time frame is essentially the same as yours give or take a week or two.  What do you pull it with?  I could rent a vehicle if necessary.  I can be reached at (502)609-5499.  My boat is currently in Annapolis, MD.
Pat Smith

Steve H

I'm sorry if this isn't as much help as you'd hoped, but hopefully it is useful. I recently bought a 27 on a trailer with no intention of buying a big truck. A U-Haul 15 foot truck is very capable of towing a 27 and a trailer, but the truck does not have a brake controller for electric brakes. I purchase a Tekonsha wireless brake controller on Amazon for $279. The 7-pin connector on the U-Haul does provide power to the unit and to the trailer lights. The controller unit plugs into the 12 volt plug in the cab. This set-up worked perfectly from Illinois to Colorado. Rather than permanently attaching the trailer unit, I fastened it to the trailer with several, large, UV stabilized zip ties. Any time that I am relocating the boat, I can rent a U-Haul for about $1,200 and get it from Colorado to either coast.
'94 Com-Pac 27
"Molly Brown"

Reighnman

Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat