a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer for 19XL

Started by AFM, July 24, 2019, 05:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFM

I have a Performance Trailer (1999, Model CVS19),  It has two wheels and did not come with brakes.  Performance Trailers went out of business years ago (as best I can learn).
Does anyone have a similar trailer (bill of sale, identification on the trailer, etc), that shows what the Gross Vehicle Weight for the trailer is.  I suspect it is something slightly less than 3000#, to avoid having to provide brakes (required for GVW 3000 and more). I would appreciate any info. you might have.  An Iphone picture of any documentation can be sent to     millers1@aol.com

Thanks
Art
"SV Restless"

Damsel19

In Florida you would have to show paper work, easiest way here is we go to the local scrap yard and they weigh the trailer with boat. Costs about $35 and they give you a reciept with an official weight.

AFM

Thanks for the feedback and a solution.    I was surprised the trailer didn't have a metal spec.tag.
Art   S/V Restless

Salty19

Our 1998 performance trailers tag was a sticker, and it's not too legible these days, and of no help to you at this point. 

However, I did have the trailer weighed when it was original:  660lbs.
And the trailer shop believes the GVWR was 3,500lbs based on the axle, but I don't have an written proof to help you with the state.

Since then I added larger fenders, larger wheels/tires, 4K axle, hydraulic surge brakes and a 10' trailer extension, so it's a bit heavier these days. 

Remember the trailer laws are not federal based,  so each state gets to say when and when not brakes are required.   I believe that CP19's trailers should have brakes--lord knows I've towed it enough without them, and those reasonable quick stops are all but impossible without brakes. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

AFM

I concur on the adding brakes, If I plan to take it any distance.  The life of the trailer
has been pretty much to store the boat during the off season
Art