a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Chain of Lakes flooded!

Started by alsantini, September 22, 2019, 10:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Well, currently the Chain of lakes in Northern Illinois, where Off the Wind is floating, is flooded and closed.  The Fox River feeds the Lakes and it has had a tremendous amount of rain in Southern Wisconsin.  This all flows South.  The last time I visited my boat I had to drive through 8 inches of water on the road that runs into the marina.  Thanks to the floating docks, all was well.  The marina has a nice system of floating the docks on pipes.  When we are at low water level there is 6 - 10 feet of pipe showing.  Right now the pipe at the end of my dock has about 2 feet showing and we are expecting an additional couple of inches tonight.  Might be another week before I can sail again.  I had hope for a few more sailing days before I pulled OtW out to get her ready for the trip South, end of October, but now I am just hopeful that the Chain will open soon so I can motor to the ramp and get out of Dodge.
Not the way I like to end the summer sailing season, but it is what it is.  last time I checked there was significant damage to some of the boats in the marina.  Mostly because they are not tied correctly to the dock.  A large storm came through and bounced the boats into the docks.  I use 5 lines and two horizontal fenders tied to the side of the docks so I came out un-scathed.
Sail On everyone....  Al

Fastdoc98

That's got to be frustrating for sure.  Who would have thought too much water would be a problem this year?!