a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Running a new halyard

Started by Fastdoc98, September 04, 2019, 12:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastdoc98

So my new-to-me 2009 Eclipse seems to have some 'interesting' layouts for the rigging which I am in the process of correcting little by little.  There's missing blocks on the front of the port side mast base and the boom downhaul, and no jib/spinnaker halyard in the mast, so nothing to use to get the stick up (not to mention no gin pole).  I have parts coming from Hutchins, but I'm wondering what the best way is to drop the new jib halyard down (or up) the mast.  I might try my electrician fish tape, but it may not be long enough.  Tie a nut to a string and drop it down, retrieve with a magnet or pliers?  Try it with the mast horizontal or do it while raising the mast?  I doubt I'm the only one to have to do this, so I'd love to hear what others have come up with.  I've read the rigging manual that was posted here about a hundred times already, so I'm pretty sure how to sort it all out, just waiting on having the right parts so I can get it ship-shape and finally splash!

slode

I haven't done it on a sailboat mast but have had to feed line through two holes in tube before.  Drop a small line (heavy fishing line works well) down through the top opening all the way down through the bottom of the mast.  Then do the same with a separate line  through the bottom opening.  Tie off the two lines together at the bottom of the mast, then pull the top line through to the outside of the bottom opening with the bottom line.  Then you have a fish line all the way through both to pull the halyard into place.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

What a great and logical method.  Love it.....  Al

Fastdoc98

Well, I can attest to the fact that weedwacker line does NOT work, it just bunches up in the middle of the mast somewhere, never to be seen again.  But, I was able to use my electrician's fish tape through the sheave at the top of the mast and it poked out the bottom without any troubles.  Stopping for dinner, then I'll attach the halyard to the fish tape and pull it through.  I'm planning on using the fishtape method for the exit on the port side of the mast, dropping out the bottom of the mast and pulling the other end of the halyard through.  Slow and easy should do it........!