a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

DIY Bimini

Started by Scott_S, June 26, 2019, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_S

I want to build my own bimini. Can someone give me width, height, length of the Compac bimini and the length of the tracks.

Thanks for any help.

Happy Sailing.
'83 Com-Pac 16, Sunfish, Com-Pac Picnic Cat, '96 Com-Pac 16CB Raven

bruce

Well, the easy answer is the track is 18" long. We have a bimini, but never used it and after years of working around it to access the stern cleats, finally took if off the boat last season. TMI, I know.

If I can take some measurements that would be helpful, of the binimi or the fittings on the boat, without reinstalling it, let me know. Hopefully someone with a working bimini and more experience with it can grab some dimensions for you. I know clearance is an issue with the sail down. A friend used his peak halyard as a topping lift for times he wanted shade at the beach.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Scott_S

Hello Bruce. Good to hear from you again.

I recently added a topping lift.

18" tracks for the Bimini is helpful info.

Measurements may be easier with the Bimini off the boat. Here are other dimensions that could be helpful:

Location of the tracks (inches forward of the boom crutch).
Stand the largest bow up vertically with its feet on the floor and measure it's height.
Do the same with the second largest bow.
Measure the width from the starboard vertical pole to the port vertical pole
Measure the length of the Bimini (the cloth part) from fore to aft.

Thanks for your contribution to this web site. I've enjoyed reading it.

bruce

Excellent, just the instructions I needed! I'll do it this morning. If the wind forecast holds, always a big if, we hope to get out this afternoon.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

bruce

OK, hopefully I've captured what you need. Don't hesitate to ask for clarifications or additional dimensions. I can provide more photos, we can only attach 4 at a time.

Location of the tracks (inches forward of the boom crutch):
From the forward tangent of the boom gallows standard to the aft end of the metal track (not the end fittings), stbd 27 3/4", port 28 1/2". When I measure the distance of the boom gallows to the aft edge of the deck flange, stbd is indeed forward a bit, 13/16" vs. 9/16" on the port. Location of the forward eye straps from the forward tangent of the boom gallows is stbd 62 1/2", port 63", on center. These are in line with the sheet tackle on the CB trunk. The aft eye straps are roughly aligned with the aft tangent of the boom gallows, and centered between the boom gallows base and the stern cleats.

Stand the largest bow up vertically with its feet on the floor and measure it's height:
43" from the bottom of the track fittings to the top of the frame, as felt through the cover.

Do the same with the second largest bow:
34 3/4" from the bottom of the frame fittings running on the vertical legs to the top of the frame.

Measure the width from the starboard vertical pole to the port vertical pole:
66" at the track fittings, 65" at top just before the curve across the top. There is lots of flex in the bottom of the legs as you know. I checked the set screw scars on the track from when the bimini was installed, and they are 67 3/4" apart. The tracks are not parallel, and diverge going forward, centered on the coamings.

Measure the length of the Bimini (the cloth part) from fore to aft:
Overall length, fore and aft, 55". Overall width, 68". The canvas was taut, as possible, but not stretched. There is 1 3/8" overhang from the outside edge, fore and aft, to the closest seam for the frame sleeve.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Scott_S

Wonderful details. This will assure my success. Thanks so much Bruce.

Happy Sailing,
Scott
Hull 350
Perrysville, OH