a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Racor Fuel Filter

Started by Bristol14, July 10, 2019, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristol14

My rewiring and repower project has been successful on my 23. I especially like the fact that I don't have to yank a starter cord or pull up the outboard anymore. Electric start and power tilt has fixed that.

I also installed a Racor fuel filter and the logical place to put it was in the fuel compartment under the stern seat. Unfortunately the 6 gallon gas tank no longer fit so I switched to a smaller 3 gallon tank. For long trips, this seems problematic as I either have to carry an extra fuel container or tank.

Wondering where others have mounted fuel filter or how/where they sore extra fuel.
Paul

Bob23

Hi Paul. Do you have any photos? I was thinking of the exact same project...but not this year. This year I sail!
Thanks,
Bob23

Bristol14

Hi Bob, I'll try to take and post pix over the next few days.

I had to take last summer off due to heart valve replacement and aortic aneurysm surgery last May (sorry, TMI but it was successful). That gave me the fall and spring to start and complete the project.

The project included a new fixed motor mount, moving my battery to the v-berth and adding a second battery. I moved the batteries amidships to balance the extra weight of the Yamaha 9.9. Losing 40 lbs (thru Weight Watchers) also compensated for more engine weight at the stern. I haven't experience any change in sailing performance so far. And my back appreciates the change.
Paul

Bristol14

Attached are pix of my
-crowded fuel compartment (3 gallon gas tank and Racor fuel filter)
-new-to-me Yamaha 9.9 hp with power trim and electric start on a fixed motor mount
-remote throttle

Still thinking about how to remount my Racor filter so I can revert to a 6 gallon gas tank.

Suggestions?
Paul

brackish

Not necessarily a suggestion, more of a question.  Why do you think you need it in the first place?  When I had larger sailboats with large capacity permanent tanks, usually aluminum, I had a Racor because those tanks collected sediment, couldn't be fully emptied, the aluminum corroded slightly, and water being present was inevitable due to condensation from differential temperature.  But a three-six gallon polymer tank, whose contents can be periodically recycled in my truck, and can be filled with alcohol free gasoline and treated for phase separation prevention I've found that the inline filter on the motor does just fine.  I change it periodically but it has never shown any dirt or sediment.  Not sure what the Racor brings to the party in this application. Curious to know if you actually are getting any water in the lower bowl.  The upper is just a big filter, way larger than the flow rate needs.

Bristol14

Fair point.  Here's my thinking...                                             

Yamaha recommends using a fuel/water filter on this outboard.  Since I paid a pretty hefty fee for the outboard, adding the filter seemed prudent. Ethanol-free gas is not readily available around me, plus it's crazy expensive.

I actually bought a 10 micron in-line fuel filter, but returned it when I decided to go with the recommended option.

As far as the effectiveness of the filter removing water, since the filter is not see-thru, I guess I will only find out if it is helping when I change it.
Paul

belybuster

Hi,  I have had an eye on these fuel cells.  Just pondering the idea of mounting one in the foot well of the cockpit:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0798MK39S/?coliid=I32WZ0OPQP8XHW&colid=1429Z798LJ6K2&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
John

Bristol14

If you mean under the stern seat where you would normally place the fuel tank, I could be wrong, but don't think it will fit. Any place else, like in one of the cockpit lockers could be dangerous without some form of venting.
Paul