a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Easy mast stepping with remote

Started by Blown Away, June 18, 2019, 06:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown Away

This mast stepper works amazingly well! I built this apparatus last year but forgot to take photos to share so I made sure to get a few shots this year. The photos are pretty much self explanatory. In brief I used a small remote controlled ATV winch that dubs as a secondary electric winch using the same removable roller that secures to both the stepping mast and deadman with a pull pin. It takes about ten minutes to set up and the same to breakdown but is worth every second. All in all it definitely takes the strain and stress out of raising and lowering the mast. I have plans to mount a battery box to the trailer to eliminate the hassle of setting up the the electrical connections for the winch and reduce the setup and breakdown time to less than 5 min.

patclem

That's pretty neat. I'm working on a gin pole setup since my trailer doesn't have the real estate for a pole like yours.  I'm setting up the braking hand winch on a stationary gin pole (like the Catalina 22 system).

I'd be interested in seeing your bridle to keep the mast from tipping.

I'd also be interested in seeing your mast crutch on the stern, if you're using one.

I'm also wondering if anyone stores their mast off to the side on the stern to make more room to access the companionway while on the trailer? Right now I just have a 2x4 across the stern rail. I think I'm going to build a more robust cradle somehow.

brackish

Quote from: patclem on June 19, 2019, 01:48:23 PM
That's pretty neat. I'm working on a gin pole setup since my trailer doesn't have the real estate for a pole like yours.  I'm setting up the braking hand winch on a stationary gin pole (like the Catalina 22 system).

I'd be interested in seeing your bridle to keep the mast from tipping.

I'd also be interested in seeing your mast crutch on the stern, if you're using one.

I'm also wondering if anyone stores their mast off to the side on the stern to make more room to access the companionway while on the trailer? Right now I just have a 2x4 across the stern rail. I think I'm going to build a more robust cradle somehow.

Not offset but fairly easy to use.  Both attach to the pulpits with u-bolts and wing nuts so fairly quick to take on and off.  The extra length of the bow crutch is to support the furler foil and drum.  The roller on the stern crutch helps to roll the mast aft for connection to the tab and it is set just high enough to clear the weather bump on the sliding companionway hatch when lining up the holes for the pivot bolt.  My gin pole/brake winch system will lift it easily from that height.

Blown Away

patclem, I don't use a mast crutch on this boat, just pads that strap to the mast to ride on the rails. This is only the third time I've  stepped the mast on this boat and have yet to rig the bridle mainly because I've always had two other guys with me, one on the ground to work the remote and safety switch, and two on deck to walk it up. Its virtually weightless and takes little to no effort to hold it straight. Now that's not to say that I would attempt this in a 15 to 20 knot wind. All in all it has worked extremely well and feels extremely safe. It needs a couple of changes to make the setup a little easier but I must say that after years of stepping mast I love this thing.

brackish

Patclem, you may have already seen this, I put it on the site a long time ago.  It has a bridle system or babystays with a fixed gin pole with brake winch.  It does work like a charm, I've always raised and lowered my mast by myself with no mishaps. One of the best features is I can do it on the water.

Note: the direct link to the article on page one no longer goes there but it will take you to the publication and you will find the article listed.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A79da05ca-f059-4e29-ac0a-ac1a60bd2a2a

jgsharpe

Brackish - is there a picture that shows how those baby stays work to keep the mast aligned?  I made a similar system without any side to side stability, and it needs something like yours, I think.
'Some Day'   Com-Pac 23   1981   Hull #164
Sabine Bay Marina     Pensacola Beach, Florida

brackish

Don't have a picture on my boat, but it is simple.  The short chain section clips to the base of the stanchion forward of the mast, the longer chain section clips to the base of the stanchion aft of the mast, the wire rope section clips to the bail.  that's it. 

here is a pic from the article.  you'll notice that his chain sections are covered with a sleeve.  If you go to that article you'll see more detail about the system.