a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Changing Transmission Oil

Started by Roger Schwake, March 13, 2007, 10:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Schwake

Can anyone out there give me some tips on changing the transmission oil. I have a 1989 Com-Pac 27 with a Universal M-12 diesel and Hurth HWB-50 transmission. I've found the drain plug and the fill plug with distick. There doesn't seem to be much room under the transmission for ant kind of drain pan, what do you use? The manual says to use GM-DEXRON to refill but no mention of how much it takes to bring it up to the full mark on the dip stick. I'd like to know how much oil it holds to have a large enough pan when I drain it. Any help would be appreciated.

jimyoung

Roger,

I have a small drill powered pump that I use when changing the tranny oil on my '87 Com-Pac 27'.  It works pretty good with a certain amount of patience. It gets most of the old oil out.  I don't remember exactly how much it takes when dry but I have that info here somewhere if you need it.  I just add a little, check it, then add a little more. Not too scientific, but it works.

Jim

Roger Schwake

Thanks for the help. I like the idea of using a pump to remove the old oil. Should get around to changing it in the next few days. Hope to remember to keep track of how much oil it takes and pass it on. Hope to be back in the water in about a month, can hardly wait.

Roger Schwake

Finally found some free time to change the oil in the transmission. Sucked out what I could with my pump used for changing oil then removed the drain plug to get the remaining oil out. Six paper towels caught that, not much room under that transmission for much else. Went to the auto store and bought some Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF to refill the transmission. It only took 10 onces to bring it up to the line on the dip stick, sure doesn't seem like much but checked it three times. Not to bad of a job and the quart of ATF should been enough to change it two more times.

Connie Meadows

I just struggled with the same headache.  I cut the bottom out of a juice container and was able to slide it under to catch it.  I had several paper towels underneath that for the spillage while removing the container while full.  Not much room at all!  Difficulties with filling too.   I bought a funnel with a very long tube today after trying turkey basters, measuring cups and funnels too large.  In the interim I used a hose attached to a funnel which worked well.  I read somewhere that it takes approx 1.3 pints. ATF  It definitely does not take much to fill it.   I am all set now for the next change.  :)