Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bilge water

Started by Paul G, December 24, 2017, 06:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Hello fellow Eclipse owners,

How much water in the bilge after a day out would be considered normal?

I was out on my Eclipse yesterday for first sail of the season. The boat was in the water for approx 10 hours. Post sailing maintenance today revealed a full bilge - probably about 6-8 gallons of water.  Haven't drained it all yet as Bilge pump currently unserviceable, but will be back online before I take boat out again)

Can't see any obvious leaks. Could it be from around the swing keel casing perhaps?

In the meantime I am thinking of installing an electric bilge pump so I don't get 'surprised' again.

Finbar Beagle

Paul,

Did you check level before sail? 

I do not have centerboard, but remember pumping out a few gallons when I bought my boat after 2 years of sitting are hard land on trailer.  I never had that much bilge water again.  My hatches, ports, leaked a bit.  Biggest culprit was companionway hatch and slide board sealing.

Second,check bow eye if you trailer. 

These are the easy fixes.

Goog luck
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Eagleye

Hi Paul,
   This is a curious issue. In the 6 years we have had our Eclipse I have never seen that much water in the bilge.  To my knowledge the biggest culprit on the Eclipse is rain water going down the mastendr stub when the mast is down.  Rain water goes directly down the open stub into the v-berth locker and on to the bilge under the cabin sole. I  now keep that covered when she is on the trailer.
   Some water can get in with the mast up via openings in the mast or if the deck to mast seal needs to be re-caulked.  The only other "normal" entry point might be through the hawse pipe into the anchor locker which also ultimately drains into the bilge. 
  As Brian speculated, could the bilge have had water in in it before your day sail?  I hope there is an easy fix for this Paul.  BTW... where do you sail and how old is your Eclipse?

Good Luck,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Paul G

Thanks Allen and Brian,

Yes, a curious issue indeed.  There was some water in the bilge, but there was more after I hauled out.  The boat is kept in the shed when not in use, so I doubt the level could be attributed to rain water.

I will start from a known position (empty) next time and report back. I am hoping it is not a split or similar in the swing keel casing.

My Eclipse is a 2009 model and I sail in the waterways around Sydney, Australia.

alsantini

Paul:  Let me add my thoughts.  During the summer I keep my 2007 Eclipse in the water all the time and normally experience a bone dry bilge.  This summer, however after torrential rain, I found a little (maybe 1/2 gal).  I decided to spend some time in the boat during a rainstorm.  Water was dripping out the edge of the cabin ceiling liner on the port side even with the back window.  It would run down the wall, go into the locker, after soaking the cushion, and from there into the bilge through a drain hole.  I pulled the boat for the season shortly thereafter.  My boat has plates even with the mast on deck.  The plates have a connection hole (2 in diameter) for a dorado vent, (not used but plugged) and the turn pulleys for control lines.  I completely disassembled this contraption and found many voids in the sealer.  I re-sealed each component and last heavy rain found the water outside the boat not in it.  I do not know if you have a dorado vent plate thingy, but if you do, I would look carefully at it.  Another source of small leaks is under the Genoa tracks.  I agree with everything said here.  Pay attention to the mast stub.  Mine leaked when I bought my boat.  I took apart both topside collar and the collar inside the cabin and water ran out.  The water that runs down the mast stub goes into the V berth locker and through a small drain hole runs into the bilge.   Caulk and it went away.  I have also found the window gaskets to leak or seep a bit with horizontal rain.  I bought new ones from ComPac to solve that water intrusion issue.  I seriously doubt that any of these items are your problem since the boat leaked while in the water.  Check the drain hose for the sink since the outside drain is under water usually on a starboard tack.  If it leaks, water will eventually find its way into the bilge.
Just for reference, my boat travels extensively and I believe trailering allows the connections between parts to move and break the caulk seal allowing a leak.  Most of my water issues were trailering with the 10 inch tires.  Since switching over to 13's I have had less issues.
Please share your results once you know them - we all want to follow your water leak.  Best of luck.  merry Christmas and Happy, dry boat New Year.    Sail On  Al

Eagleye

Paul,
We find it interesting to find Com-Pacs in other countries.  Are you the original owner or was it brought to Australia by a previous owner?
I had the pleasure of spending some time in Sydney a few years ago and enjoyed touring the harbor area.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas,
Allen

Paul G

Allen,

I bought my Eclipse in 2014 from a guy in Brisbane who purchased it locally.  It was brought in used from the USA. I believe it was CA based as the registration numbers are still partially visible. It's previous name was Virginia Read II.   It has been renamed Dragonfly by the owner prior to me.

There is a distributor for Com-Pac in Australia. I am not sure how many Com-Pacs are here, but at the time I was looking there were three Eclipses for sale.

The Eclipse certainly draws some attention down here. I see other sailors pointing it out.  I am often asked what boat is that?

The one waterway that I am yet to take it out on is Sydney Harbor.  This is probably due to the fact I sailed our 31' (not a Com-Pac) for many years there and so have seen most of it.

With respect to my bilge issue, I will be taking the boat up to a lake for few days so I will leave it in the water overnight without sailing and will check the bilge again.

Merry Christmas to all Com-Pac sailors in the US. It is Christmas morning here in Sydney. I am looking under the tree and can't see anything from West Marine. Perhaps I haven't been good this year ????
Cheerio,

Paul

Eagleye

Quote from: Paul G on December 24, 2017, 04:34:14 PM
Allen,

"The Eclipse certainly draws some attention down here. I see other sailors pointing it out.  I am often asked what boat is that?"

Cheerio,

Paul

Paul,
We get the same reactions/comments here in the USA also.

Paul G

Hi all,

an update on the bilge water issue.  It seems to have settled down.  I took the Eclipse out for a weekend and the bilge was almost dry.  I also discovered a problem with my bilge pump (the Guzzler 500!)  It wasn't pumping so I removed it for further investigation.  It seemed the flapper valve (?) on the exhaust side of the pump, and on the non-return valve in the bilge, were not seating correctly.  Now this is a long shot, but perhaps my bilge water was 'backfilling' from the outlet on the transom through the pump and down into the bilge?  Like I said...a long shot.  Anyway, the problem seems to have been rectified.

Cheerio

Paul

Renae

Unless I'm mistaken, the bilge pump pumps out one of the higher transom scuppers, well above the waterline under normal circumstances.  One should not be able to have water backwash through this line into the bilge.