Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-pac Sun Cat for Sale - 2008 - dark blue - upstate NY $15,000

Started by Centauria13, July 06, 2019, 10:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centauria13

Hello,

Excellent condition - low miles.  Bought it last year with high hopes - can't get anyone in the family interested in sailing, and sadly its never been off the trailer. 

I think it is pretty much unmodified.  Cushions have been stored in my house since I bought it - pretty pristine really, EXCEPT   there are large no-longer-glossy sections on both sides where previous owner had large stickers.  I went over them with my orbital polisher and they are much improved, but I can still see some signs.  Maybe another couple of passes... its on my to do list. 
Sitting on a Magictilt trailer, which is in good shape as well.  New plastic coated rudder still in the box along with the one on the boat. 

Boat is in my driveway, in a small town near Albany.

you can email me at the email version of mary dot hogencamp at gmail dot com 

bruce

Hey Mary, I saw your listing on Craigslist. The plastic coated rudder, that is pictured installed on CL, is a Rudder Craft foiled rudder. That's a popular upgrade.
https://store.ruddercraft.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=181_29&product_id=135

It's a shame the family isn't into it, it really is a great boat.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Centauria13

Hi Bruce - sorry, didn't see this until today.  For some reason I thought a reply would get a "ping" or something.
Anyway, thanks for the info re the rudder - that answers that question!  It came with an aluminum rudder, but it doesn't look quite like the one in the download manuals - I will put them both aboard - never hurts to have a spare when butter fingers attack!

Yeah, took me a long while to face that fact that this particular dream was not going to come true.  I could drag around another year but this boat should make somebody else's dream come true, not sit around in my driveway reproaching me.

I did think maybe I could offer it to a skipper I met up in Sackett's Harbor near the St. Lawrence Seaway.  He has been slowly building a lease-and-lesson fleet business up there, complete with a skipper or crew option. Maybe I could offer it in exchange for credit on sailing lessons and leases and go visit the boat a couple weeks here and there... I hate to give up on this boat...

Oh well!  Meanwhile I tear up the water all by my lonesome in my way cool Hobie Adventure Island, so the #$%^ with my lame family!

bruce

No problem, Mary. You should get a notification. You can check your setting at Profile:Account Settings:Notifications and Email, the top box should be checked.

Funny story about an Adventure Island. We had dropped the sail and were motoring back up the narrow dredged channel into the cove where our ramp is, past three marinas and a couple of mooring fields. Not easy to do under sail. Anyway, a tandem Hobie trimaran pulled in behind us, under sail. We'd seen them earlier, and they seemed to know what they were doing. As we approached the cove they kept closing on us. I had my Honda 2 at full power but they were still gaining, and didn't seem to be able to slow down. I had the right of way, but didn't want to pinch them as we approached the No Wake sign when things really get crowded, so I raised the CB, pulled out of the channel, and did a 360 like I was penalized for a race infraction. As they proceeded by, they didn't acknowledge us at all. Rude I thought, but maybe they didn't catch on. Then I saw that they were pedaling away! I knew of the Adventure Island, but didn't realize that was what I was seeing. Clearly they could have slowed down. In fact, once inside the cove, they abruptly stopped pedaling and dropped sail, losing way just as a large commercial boat passed heading outbound, crowding us in the fairway. I had just enough room to swerve and avoid them. Not sure what they were thinking.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Centauria13

Ah, missed that setting - thanks!

Ohh, I am embarrassed that the Hobie people were rude (or just clueless).  If there were two seats, it was the "Tandem Island", a slightly bigger version of the Adventure Island.  I am wondering if most people who are sailing a kayak got into it from the kayak end, and not the sailing end.  That would explain their cluelessness re sailing protocols.  If they never properly learned how to sail, they might indeed be ignorant of the rules of the road.  No excuse mind you, I am just offering a hypothesis. 

Here is an interesting corollary.  I am sailing on Sandy Pond, a large almost completely enclosed bay off of Lake Ontario.  There is about a 100 yard channel between the arms of the sand dunes enclosing this bay, and the navigable part (for most boats) is about 10 yards wide, with sandy shallows on either side.   Needless to say with the wind almost always blowing from the west, funneled right through that gap, it is a challenge to sail into the lake.  I have to make about 5 to 8 tacks to get through there, and I keep pedaling the whole time as an assist, and to power through the tacks, so I don't loose headway.  It is not particularly difficult, but it is perfectly clear to any savvy motorboat coming the other way that I will have to make the tack before I hit the shallows.  Most are good tacticians and there are no problems, but occasionally I come across a dunderhead that doesn't get it, and have to stall my sail to let them blunder by.  There is a pretty good current there and I will allow as how occasionally I have said some bad words!  hahaha....

Sounds like they were the nautical equivalents of Mr. Magoo!  (hope you are not too young to know who Mr. Magoo was).  Maybe I will have some shirts made up with "Captain Magoo" on them, to give out as prizes! hahahhaha 

bruce

It was their lack of experience in traffic, I think. I know we hadn't seen them before. I was doing about 4.5 kts., they had at least a kt. on me. They closed to about 30'. I'm used to powerboats trying to beat me in, and stay up on plane as long as possible, but at this point in the channel I would have held my ground with them. The Hobie didn't have the room, or speed, to pass, but he was still bearing down under full sail on a run. Once I pulled out of the channel and did a 360 to fall back in behind him, any boater, sail or power, would have given me a wave, even if they didn't understand my reason. And then, with traffic behind them, they stop. I'm not sure these guys drive a car much either.

Thanks for the consideration, but I well old enough to know Mr. Magoo!

Even with your settings right, we are having problems with notifications. Hopefully, the admins are working on that.

The AI looks like an interesting boat, have fun!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI