a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer bunk brackets.

Started by philb Junkie19, October 03, 2018, 02:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philb Junkie19

I'm having  hard time finding bunk brackets for my 19's magic tilt trailer. The brackets have a 3 1/2 in U to fit the bunk and an inverted U bracket that bolts to the 1 3/8 in round pipe. I looked at online parts sellers and at the Magic Tilt parts site. Any suggestions?
Phil

5monkeys

Hi PhilB,
   I hope you've had a great season. I couldn't find them either, I bought  some simple 90 degree brackets I was going to try and make work, but I haven't done it yet. If you find a source for them let me/us know.

Regards,

Keith
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Jasmid53

Phil, are the black brackets what you are asking about? I found them on-line but they were close to $20 each. So I knocked off all the rust, drilled new bolt hole where needed and on a couple of them I ground down the edges to reshape them. I did this because after launching, a couple of the brackets separated from the bunkers which were rotten in places. I replaced all the wood, added new bolts to the freshly painted brackets. Should last the rest of my life. I can not however remember where I saw them, but they are out there.

philb Junkie19

Jim, the brackets on one side were fine but the other 3 were beyond repair. I went back and looked at the L shaped brackets Kieth mentioned. They looked like they would do the job. Iinstead I made three of my own from angle iron I had on hand. I'll replace the bunks as well.

philb Junkie19

It took a bit before it sunk in that the L brackets sold must be intended to be used in pairs, one on each side of the upright pipe to balance the forces and avoid twisting or torquing pressures. With 1/4 " thick angle iron and the 1/2 " bolts through the pipes I'd probably be Ok with just the 3 already made but putting it together as intended should pay off in the long run so I'll make 3 more.

I now appreciate the original design where the 2x4 bunk set down in a U cup and was less dependent on screws to hold it in place.

5monkeys

Phil,
    That's good information right there, sounds like I'm gonna have to order more brackets.

Thanks for sharing your findings.

regards,

Keith

Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Damsel19

We normally see the 90 degree brackets used solo, but have noticed that higher end OEMs use them in pairs.  The big thing is to attach them to the 2x4 with through bolts. Counter bore for the heads. The off the shelf after market brackets last about 6 years around salt water. Using them in pairs gives you a little saftey margin  to notice its time for replacement when they rust away. They do seem to go from good to failed quickly once they start rusting.

5monkeys

Hi Philb,
   Did you have to replace any of the 1 3/8ths  inch round pipes? If so, what did you use? Some of mine are pretty bad off near the bracket discussed in this thread.

TIA

Keith
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

philb Junkie19

Keith,
I didn't replace the support pipes but a several of mine were well rusted at the very top. I drilled a new bolt hole a little lower where the pipe was still solid and made the holes on my home made angle iron brackets lower than on the original brackets. That kept the bunks at the right height.

if you have enough pipe at below where they are clamped to the frame, and the set bolts are not too rusted in you might be able to cut off the rusted away pipe and raise them up. I wasn't going to try mine without heat.

If you are going to replace the pipes you would want 1 inch galvanized, schedule 40. The outside diameter is actually just a little under 1 3/8 inches. That's the best long term solution but if yours are like mine you may need an acetylene set to heat the frame sockets and setbolts enough to get them backed off out without breaking Next for me is replacing the axle brackets, bolts and giving the axle a good inspection. Yeh, that salt water does take it's toll.

The snow has stopped and the sun came out. Time to fire up the snowblower. Tonight might be a good night to get out the chartbook and remember that water will become liquid again before too long.

5monkeys

Hi Philb and anyone else following along,
   I was finally forced to fix the bunks, after launching last week for a "day sail". I pulled up the ramp to see the boards had finally let go of the supports.  Stopped by the orange big box store that night and picked up 10 feet of schedule 40,some 3/4" galvanized nuts and bolts, and I forgot exact but I think 3/4" long hex screws. Fortunately, I had already purchased those brackets.  Since I had only purchased 1 bracket per post, I mounted them from the inside, with the flat covering the post.. so outward/downward pressure would put weight on the pipe not just the bracket itself. After some cutting and drilling and fussing... It all seems to have worked like a champ. I should probably replace the fenders at some point, they are pretty rough but that's cosmetic. Next and probably last functional thing needing attention on the trailer is probably the axle.  I thought I had seen a post where you were looking for one Philb, but I can't find it anymore. Did you ever find one?  Anybody replace the axle on the magic-tilt?
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

philb Junkie19

Hi 5,

I know I will need to rplace my hangers once the boat is in the water. Gladly it's less than a 1/2 mile drive to the ramp..  I've been thinking that the 30 year plus axle could well  need to be replaced. A local trailer parts dealer gave me a sheet showing the measurements I would need to take. They will custom build one for a high price.  I'll be looking online.
Phil