News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Guzzler Manual Bilge Pump - how should it work and when to re-build?

Started by Bilge Rat, August 21, 2019, 01:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilge Rat

My 2009 Suncat has the Guzzler 500 manual bilge pump.  I've never had the need to use it but thought I would test it out. So I filled my bilge up with water from the hose and tried it out. I found that it did work but you have to work the lever quite rapidly to get it to suction out any water.
is this normal operation for these pumps?

I've heard that over time you need to overhaul/rebuild the pump and you can find the rebuild kits for sale online.  How do you know when it's time to do this, short of a complete failure to suction out any water?
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Zephyros

Quote from: Bilge Rat on August 21, 2019, 01:58:11 PM
I've heard that over time you need to overhaul/rebuild the pump and you can find the rebuild kits for sale online.  How do you know when it's time to do this, short of a complete failure to suction out any water?

Mine 2007 acted the same way, I rebuilt it last month. You also have to replace the Bosworth Check Valve (CV-0500D) at the end of the hose in the bottom of the bilge, just cut the tie wraps and pull the hose out when you remove the pump, the check valve is attached with a hose clamp at the end of the bilge hose. When you pull the hoses from the pump and check valve you will find white silicone caulk Hutchins used to seal the hoses to the flanges, clean it off and reapply new silicone caulk. I found the best prices at Fawcett Boat Supplies.

Bosworth Guzzler 500 Service Kit
SKU: BOS 5KIT, $22.91
http://www.fawcettboat.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=19769E683EE9425B97F938D6EE4924A6

Bosworth Check Valve 1-1/2" (Check Valve CV-0500D)
SKU: BOS 7512, $16.41
http://www.fawcettboat.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=B2B2F333C1D44FF28E859CC3FEB221EB

Rebuild Instructions:
https://www.thebosworthco.com/instructions/diaphragm_replacement_guzzler_400_and_500_pumps.pdf

See other docs and pics attached, the pic of the check valve has the flapper valve removed so you can see what debris gets caught up in the flow.

wes

The hardest part is getting the pump out of the boat. The actual rebuild is easy. I've done two so far, on my 1988 CP 19 and 27.

It's a good idea to replace the cheap corrugated plastic bilge hose with a higher grade, smooth bore hose. This will make for more efficient pumping and less likelihood of hose collapse. I cannot think of any reason to use silicone sealant. Double clamping should work fine and makes future repairs much easier.

Don Casey and other experts generally don't recommend using a check valve, on the grounds that even a little bit of debris renders them leaky and therefore pointless. A manual bilge pump is really intended for the worst emergencies only, so it's very unlikely you will actually use it, other than for an annual test.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Bilge Rat

Thanks friends for the guidance and pointers here. Very helpful. I was wondering about having to remove it from where it is mounted on the inside of the locker. This all makes sense. this will be a project no doubt!
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14