a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Raymarine S1000+ Auto Pilot

Started by Jasmid53, November 02, 2019, 05:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasmid53

I purchased a Raymarine  auto pilot a couple of months ago but because the boat was out on a mooring I did not get it installed. Now I'm doing everything I can do to have the boat ready to sail come spring. I was able to test the AP today after I wired it to the battery in my garage. It moves and makes noise, so I think it works. Then I went and marked the position on the tiller and perpendicular towards the side. Of course the side dimension places the connection where it is most difficult to install. It lands where the back rest angles down to the deck. Two inches forward and installation will be relatively easy. The instructions cite the measurement along the tiller as critical. Has anyone installed one of these and if so do you have any photos? Is that dimension that critical?

philb Junkie19

Hi Jim, Good to get started on next years projects. Spring can get busy and waiting for good weather frustrating. I was thinking of painting the boat this fall but house painting has taken priority. Here is how I mounted my Old Simrad tp10 on my 19 at that dropdown on the combing. Hope it helps.

philb Junkie19

Crap, Ive been trying for a while to get the pic to post. Got a resizing app but am told the jpeg format is wrong will keep trying.

philb Junkie19

It's taking two new apps to resize and convert the format but I think I have it. Where's my old windows laptop?

Jasmid53

Thanks Phil. I have a problem uploading photos too, but mainly, now because I can't remember the size to make them. I have an Apple and can resize right in the photo app.

I was thinking that I was going to have to do something like you made. I didn't think of making an angled shelf up off the seat. Perfect for staying out of the way of cushions if I ever make some. I was also thinking that since the corner will become somewhat useless, I might try and incorporate some other useful function into that shelf. A drink holder or a place I can stow my horn. 

philb Junkie19

Jim, I kept getting uploads rejected so I finally set them at 200x300. The res and proportions, as you can see, were good enough.

Luke T surprised me by stopping by this PM. He was up to tarp Alert. Said you were back to Joy Bay this Labor day weekend. Sorry we missed you. A wedding and family harmony won out.  I mean who would really want to spend a weekend sailing with friends and acquaintances and feasting on lobster. I was happy, however, to be able to accompany those early boats partway over.

Jasmid53

I made a quick mock-up of a way to hold the auto-tiller. I will make two boxes, one for each side with a shelf between them. Though I am calling them boxes, they are two pieces of wood fastened to the boat and they will sit on small feet so that water can get out. These "boxes" will have hinged lids on them. Inside the box is where I will locate the plug. The box will be a good place to store the tiller's cord and other items such as lunch, air horn etc.

I don't think it will be in the way. It is at a height that makes for a good elbow rest. I can't for see it being in the way, except possibly while climbing up the ladder after a swim. Any thoughts?

Aldebaran_III

Raymarine have a neat detachable bracket for cockpit sidewall mounting. Length is adjustable. Defender have it as #252120 Raymarine part D031. Simrad have something similar which could also work.
There is also a bracket to allow the tiller mount pin to be slung 4 inches under the tiller.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=raymarine-cantilever-mounting-socket&path=-1|17|2028687|2028719&id=1028256

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=raymarine-tiller-arm-bracket&path=-1|17|2028687|2028719&id=1492738

Jasmid53

Defender seems to be the place to buy your marine gear, based upon everyone's recommendations. I was aware of all the little fixtures, but for some reason I didn't like the little pipe thing sticking out. I have all winter to make my little boxes - already started - which I think will be very handy for me. I don't like having little things rolling around on the boat's floor. If I end up not making my boxes or I do and find out I don't like them I can always go and buy these brackets. Thank for your response.

philb Junkie19

Jim, the "box" looks to meet your needs for a base and some handy stowage. I'm not sure if the one on the port side will be in you way. It would for me as I get right to the stern when I raise, lower, tilt or start the motor. Also, I wonder if instead of a hinged lid, if the box opened in the front so it could be accessed when using the tiller pilot. Maybe just a board across the front just high enough to retain your gear while allowing access over it would work. You might skip the short legs. Just leave 1/4 inch under that front board.

As I think further about the two box set I'm wondering that you designed them to counter balance and be easily removable?

Jasmid53

I should have used the word pads instead of legs. I was thinking of a couple of nylon screws or pins. They only have to be about 1/4" high to do the trick. Along the front edge under the auto tiller will be a fixed board with the hinges behind the AT. I like the idea of an open cubby hole. A lot easier to build. I'll have to think about that now. Having boxes on both side is somewhat for symmetry and by doing it like that I think I will only need a couple of bolts and some 3M 5200 caulk. I may have gotten the number of the 3M product wrong. Tomorrow I need to change to my winter mooring float, but right after I will but the mock up on the port side to see if it will be in the way of starting the motor and securing the rudder.

brackish

On a 23, used their bracket to get the installation level.  Can't remember about the length on the tiller, but it works fine.  Screwed a little piece of 1/4" aluminum to the cowl to reinforce the area that the pin sits in.