a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Centerboard mounting screws

Started by Renae, April 19, 2019, 11:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renae

New-to-me 2004 Suncat appears to be in good shape throughout with one (important) area of concern.  This boat has the older-style stainless steel centerboard case which is mounted by way of screws all along its length into the fiberglass.  Whether through beaching or trailering, about 20% of the screws are missing.  I am concerned that:

1.  The remaining screws will eventually stress and break, dropping the entire case in the water.  Not good.
2.  The unfilled screw holes are areas of potential intrusion.  The glass in the area looks good for now, but...

It seems to me that the case should be removed, the glass inspected and repaired if necessary, then the board should be reset.  Or, would it suffice to inject epoxy up into the holes and reset the screws in that?  Either way, I am a rookie and will get the work professionally done.  I just want to know what I am in for.

Andre

I've never had to deal with anything like that and I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.  But don't hesitate to contact Hutchins - they're usually very helpful and are a great resource especially with something structural like what you're facing.

Andre

Renae

I already have.  Their idea was for me to send the boat down to Florida, install a new centerboard and ship it back.   This would roughly cost me the purchase price of the boat.

wes

Don't know where you are located, but you might call Keith Scott at The Sailboat Company in Richland NC. He is a longtime Com-Pac dealer and by far the most knowledgeable person about CP structural issues I've ever met. He generous with phone advice.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina